Marz Lures

Marz Lures
Alurin
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Re: Marz Lures

Post by Alurin » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:15 am

It's Monday and I've left the camera at home oopssmilie so you'll just have to wait one more sleep. Painted eyes indicate an early lure and the faint grooves once again indicate the start of using the copying lathe or it could be one of the very first when Maurie was experimenting with grooves on his lures and would hand file them around the body. Been a bit busy getting gear together for next weekend. I work with disabled guys and am taking a group up to Lake Keepit for three days for a fishing adventure yay it's a hard life I know but someones gotta do it yay lol yay

Alurin
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by Alurin » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:46 am

Here's some early lures on cards as well as others from my collection.
DF Lures 006BComp.jpg
DF Lures 007BComp.jpg
The lure on the pink card was made by Mencho Lures as proven by the goanna on the throat (Darcy Menchin's signature). Maurie and his good mate Tom Weirs bought about 500 Mencho Lures cheap in agreement with Mencho Lures and were selling them on the Marz Lures cards. From what Maurie told me the venture wasn't overly successful, but nothing ventured nothing gained.
DF Lures 005BComp.jpg
Top to bottom, left to right: Boney, Bream Popper, Punkin (little bream lure), Marz Mouse, Slater (good bass lure), Peter Pan (good yellowbelly lure), Marz Bush Rat
DF Lures 004BComp.jpg
Top to bottom: J100, Jew Lano, Jew Magnum, Early Jew Magnum

More old photos to follow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Baz

Post by Baz » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:16 pm

Here's 2 of my Marz lures.The top one is a "Poddy" that I brought about 12 years ago.The grooves are very faint and the eyes are painted.It has caught me more Flathead than any other lure in my box.The other lure is a "Bass Hunter", it's about 4years old and is a good producer of Bass and Goldens in St.Clair.Both nice lures but not real good pics of them.
marz1.jpg
marz2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Alurin
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by Alurin » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:41 am

The Poddy could be one of Marzies early attempts at lures with grooves. Before he had the copying lathe built all of his original lures were smooth. He had an idea that grooves on the lures might create more vibration when retrieved so he started filing the grooves around the body of the lure. So early lures with feint grooves could be these first transition stages of Marz Lures from smooth to grooved. Very collectible. Marzy and another mate had some of his lures tested in a tank similar to what Frank tested the lures in for his encyclopedias. Whithout actually sighting the certificate, Marzy states that there was considerably more vibrations put out by the grooved lures than the smooth lures. The Bass Hunter certainly is a good lure, especially around the local Hunter dams and rivers.

Baz

Post by Baz » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:28 am

The grooves on my Poddy are that feint that the clear coat almost fills them in.

Alurin
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by Alurin » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:35 am

I would say that you have an extremly valuable and highly sought after collectible. After all, how many of these earlier lures would still be around. Without asking Marzy I am sure he wouldn't have hand filed too many.

Alurin
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by Alurin » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:18 am

Hey Baz, just spoke to Marzy. He reckons that even though it was a long time ago when he did the filing, he would have only hand filed about 20 lures in all.

Baz

Post by Baz » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:58 pm

thumbsupsmilie Thanks Alurin.Looks like I will have to put it in the no fishing box.One of about 20, thats pretty good! yay

Return to “Marz Lures”