My latest toy........ Not the devils reel!

Charged
Rookie
Rookie

My latest toy........ Not the devils reel!

Post by Charged » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:16 pm

A Langley 777, I cant wait to clean it up, this image is the before pic. I just hope the triple seven's bring me luck, and help me one day catch a whale of biblical proportions, does any one know where I can find a Jonah lure? droolsmilie

A few years ago, I picked up an even earlier model of this same heritage, and its by far my smoothest vintage reel I have to date. This older one pictured below is a Langley R810, and is an absolute joy to crank.

Although some parts are shared "Bail / Crank...ext....", unfortunately this newer version, does not share the same bullet proof internal mechanics of the earlier Langley reel.

Many of the later Langley reels were also produced by Zebco. In the early days several of Langley products, were also re-released by Zebco. I'm sure just about every American angler over the age of 30 had one of these de-liar's in there tackle box at one time or another!

Weight and length, all in the palm of your hand. Still accurate all these years later! The later 80's Zebco offerings substituted the cast body with a plastic frame.

It will be interesting to research this American Angling History connection further.

Even though Zebco, is not the same company it used to be, I still have a soft spot for this manufacturer, as many of my early fishing memories are with zebco products. I still even have my first Zebco rod reel combo my father purchased me as a young beginning angler. (Pictured also fairly recently restored from near oblivion)

Dishley
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Re: My latest toy........ Not the devils reel!

Post by Dishley » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:22 pm

Those are great, thanks for putting them up. I love the old closed faced reels, yours looks real nice after the restoration clapclap

Return to “VINTAGE FISHING REELS GENERAL DISCUSSIONS”