Latest batch of 'pristine' Newell's

Forum rules
THIS AREA IS FOR INVESTIGATION OF LURES AND TACKLE BY FELLOW MEMBERS IF YOU INDEED THINK A PARTICULAR PIECE IS A FAKE THEN POST A PICTURE OF THE ITEM ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS MAY BE MADE OR PERSONAL DETAILS GIVEN OUT WE ARE NOT IN THE BUSINESS OF MAKING "POLICING" JUDGEMENTS BUT RATHER A INFORMED DECISION FROM THE MAJORITY OF MEMBERS ABOUT ITS TRUE IDENTITY OR ORIGINS
brolly
Guru
Guru

Re: Latest batch of 'pristine' Newell's

Post by brolly » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:38 pm

G'day Brad
Whilst i openly admit to aquiring a couple of "pristine newell's" recently (even though i had someone win/purchase them on my behalf)it was the controversey surrounding them that made me want them even more.There was never any doubt in my mind that they were the real deal even though i suspected someone may have added the finishing touches to them.And if this happened after Peter's passing certainly doesn't make them non genuine but merely adds to the uniqueness of these lures.They are possibly the last batch of lures Peter made which should or could make them more valuable.Which brings me to the main point of this post and that is to highlight how we can potentially influence the price of some lures through our various disscussions.None more obvious than one of our members paying $900+ for a recent Kadaitcha and then the issue raised of potential fakes or copies and a week or two later i aquire a Kadaitcha from the same source and possibly out of the same batch for $191.Good luck or good fortune i think not.I think nervous buyers.Anyway irrespective of who may or may not of finished them or potentially made the ones i aquired cheaper(the other being the top water Scorpion without the weighted tail how rare can that be) I will proudly display these with the other 100+ newells i have. Anyway that's me said spbx and thanks Brad for your investigative skills clapclap
Mike.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fishaholiclures
Master
Master

Post by fishaholiclures » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:32 pm

Mike,
Thanks for your words and I agree that prices can be affected by what is discussed here. This is a result of a lure collection fraternity in it's infancy and this site quickly becoming THE place to find info. Soon enough the greater majority of collectors will be informed enough to make valid purchace decisions based on thier own merit.

I have watched your purchases with great wonderment and can only dream of what your collection(s) look like droolsmilie droolsmilie
and can you please please please go on holidays soon so the rest of us poor buggers can have a chance at winning please lol

Cheers Brad
I know what I know, the rest is simply details
acta non verba

Baz
Guru
Guru
Mood:

Post by Baz » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:43 pm

I'm only new here and I don't want to 'stir the pot', but what about the latest batch of Newell Scorpions on fleabay.What is your opinion on them.There are extra holes on the belly of 1 of them.Peter would know where to place the hook eyes on his own lures wouldn't he?
Wishin I was Fishin..!!

two-bob

Post by two-bob » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:05 pm

I believe these are the same batch of lures as previously discussed. Re the holes (and the damage by the screw eye going in too far) I dont know the story but can only speculate that as the lure in question is a 3 treble set up they perhaps drilled the holes for a 2 treble set up in the first instance. A pity the damage has been done but as to their worth? They are I believe Newell lures so the rest is up to the individual buyer. Personally not a lure I would chase. I would have really liked to have seen some of these lures be passed on in their raw form. Blanks that were Peters last lures would be worth much more I believe for the seller than these finished ones.

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:08 pm

two-bob wrote:I believe these are the same batch of lures as previously discussed. Re the holes (and the damage by the screw eye going in too far) I dont know the story but can only speculate that as the lure in question is a 3 treble set up they perhaps drilled the holes for a 2 treble set up in the first instance. A pity the damage has been done but as to their worth? They are I believe Newell lures so the rest is up to the individual buyer. Personally not a lure I would chase. I would have really liked to have seen some of these lures be passed on in their raw form. Blanks that were Peters last lures would be worth much more I believe for the seller than these finished ones.

Could not have put it better if I tried mate, absolutely agree clapclap

oldfish
Expert
Expert

Post by oldfish » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:06 pm

Interested in the opinion of some of the blokes who are in favour of these lures on the following bit.

If I took an old beaten up Newell with chipped paint and no signature,and I sanded it back and did the most wonderful paint job,

and then did a nice P.Newell signature,and added new split rings and trebles then I must have increased the value of that lure

enormously,wouldn't I have??

Because it would still be a genuine Newell,wouldn't it!!!!!

Hoping for replies,

Jim

two-bob

Post by two-bob » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:49 pm

oldfish wrote:Interested in the opinion of some of the blokes who are in favour of these lures on the following bit.

If I took an old beaten up Newell with chipped paint and no signature,and I sanded it back and did the most wonderful paint job,

and then did a nice P.Newell signature,and added new split rings and trebles then I must have increased the value of that lure

enormously,wouldn't I have??

Because it would still be a genuine Newell,wouldn't it!!!!!

Hoping for replies,

Jim
G'day Jim. I dont think so for the following reasons.

1. iYes it would be a Newell lure but with a custom paintjob

2. These lures have been painted / finished by a person who has been involved with the making of Peters lures at some stage. Hence Bullrouts post saying that many Newell lures had in some way had other hands involved in the construction. As long as it is one of these people there the difference lies. Personally I think it would be better for the seller to state all this info and who the person is as I can only see it as working in the sellers favor but for whatever reason this has not been done.

The Signature is not a forgery. Kathy signed many/most of Peters Lures so that is fine by me. Anyone else doing so would be fraud.

As I said, these lures are not of real interest to me but I do believe that the selling of them is fine and whilst I personally would have like more to be disclosed from the beginning I feel all is above board. Buyers need to make their own mind up in the end.

oldfish
Expert
Expert

Post by oldfish » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:25 pm

All this kerfuffle can often be expected when collectables of any sort go up in value quickly, giving people the chance to make money out of other poor

gullible,ill-informed,naive and trusting collectors.Hopefully this website has caused a few people to be just a little more wary.Let the buyer beware!

(I still wonder why the mystery man luremaker friend has never been named publicly,are they ashamed of what they are doing?)

I,myself,much prefer to collect lures still sealed in their original packet or at least on a backing card.Then again,modern photocopiers could do an almost undetectable

job of forging these if they thought it was worthwhile.It has happened before in fishing reel boxes and shotgun cartridge packets,fields that most people weren't

suspicious of for a while,and everyone knows it happens in high value dustjackets for books and many different forms of artwork.Signatures in books are forged so often

it is ridiculous that anyone would pay a premium without checking that it at least looks close to the author's genuine writing. I'll bet someone is already forging Frank's

writing in his lure books,if ever queried they just say "it was like that when I bought it".

I just wish the people "In the know" weren't so keen to keep their knowledge to themselves, I don't like being treated like a mushroom (kept in the dark and fed bullsh)

Similar to the respect I have for politicians.

OK,promise I won't post again for a while,

Jim

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:41 pm

Jim post whenever you like i also dont like being fed all sorts from all sides I have no idea nor do i care much anymore ,,,fact is to me they dont look right so i stay away, im not saying its wrong or right i dont want them as they are not what im used to seeing or buying from this maker...
As you said forgery is running riot across all the collecting groups and keeping up with it is a full time job that I do not care to pursue, im just after the facts is it a Newell have we seen it before or can identify it or is it a koolabung many can spot them a mile away many cannot we are here to lend a hand thats all.

oldfish
Expert
Expert

Post by oldfish » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:06 am

Dave,

No,mate,I have no info at all,which is why I get upset at being treated like a mushroom as I believe the public have a right to know.

As for the lure in your photo I wouldn't know.If it was offered to me I would work on a gut feeling of how genuine the seller was.
If he said it was made and painted by Peter Newell and sold or given to him then I would pay a good price.If he said it was made by Peter and painted by Mr. X who was working for him at the time then I would pay a lot less.As for P.Newell printed on the lure by who knows
then I don't value that at all,though I know I am different to most collectors.

Cheers,Jim

Return to “WHAT`S A FAIR PRICE & IS IT REAL”