Burke Bassassin & Little Big Dig

Powelly
tradie
tradie

Burke Bassassin & Little Big Dig

Post by Powelly » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:48 pm

Love these soft, rubbery things - wish I had a few more! The Bassassin was a favourite, but I retired it about 25 years ago and placed it into the sanctity of my hallowed cardboard box. The Little Big Dig rattled around in my tackle box for many years - needs a bit of a clean up, now.

I Goolgled "Burke Bassassin" to see if they still made these lures and one of the options was an ausfish.com.au forum titled "What is your oldest lure", so I had a read. I now know what Brett Dowd's oldest lure is: "i collect old lures and have some old floppys,aeroplane spinners, peter newell kaidicthas and so on , i dont dare to use these as they have a increase in value if you can pick up some in good condition. About the only lure i do use when im at the coast is aold wonder wobbler. Cheers bdowdy" Now we know! Sorry Brett, but I was dirty that you didn't mention my lures smckin

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy Burke lures? Certainly, on the American fleabay site there are Burkes to be bought, but does Burke still exist?

Cheers

Travers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fishaholiclures
Master
Master

Re: Burke Bassassin & Little Big Dig

Post by fishaholiclures » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:43 pm

Travers,
I too have a soft spot (pun intended) for Burkes lures.
Burke Collection.jpg
However after some digging in my lure boxes and books there is this.
Burke began producing lures in Traverse City, Michigan in 1968, mainly copying CCBC & Heddon lures but in a soft foam material they marketed as 'Flexo Plugs'. Later lures also came from Arbogarst & Bomber designs. I have a lure in box with paper from the Michigan address and it does not have a ZIP code on it anywhere, which usually indicates printing prior to 1973. It also shows Burke to be a division of McClellan Industries Inc. McClellan are listed as: Manufacturing Business: Sporting and Athletic Goods.

These lures continued to be made up until the late 1980's. 1987 saw the introduction of moulded soft vinyl frogs, insects and fish added to the range.

according to the WWW, Burke are still in existence...
Burke Flex-O Products
5401 Kent Drive,
Tyler, TX 75707
Which coincidentely is also the address of Creme Lures, another famous lure company. Nick Creme produced the first commercial 'soft plastic' lures in 1949 with the Creme Worm. Creme was based in Akron, Ohio.

Nick Creme died November 29, 1984. Ownership of the company was then passed to his 3 children, and the company continued under the management of his son, Mike Creme.
Knight Manufacturing bought CREME lures from the Creme Family in 1989 after discussing a merger for more than a year.

Knight Manufacturing had made a name for itself in the industry after being started as a garage business in 1965 by Wayne Kent, and his wife, Judy. The company went nationwide in 1976 with its introduction of the Tube worm and continued to prosper with a number of different products.

From what I can see on the Creme website, the Flexo Pugs are no longer made, but the insects and frogs are now part of the Creme product range.

So there you have it Travers, No they aren't made any more, so like me you'll have to troll the USbay for them.

Cheers Brad
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I know what I know, the rest is simply details
acta non verba

Powelly
tradie
tradie

Post by Powelly » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:22 pm

Brilliant stuff!! Thanks Brad. clapclap clapclap clapclap

I also had another Burke lure - I think it was a surface popper - that looked like a big brown turd. Unimpressed with the lure, I used it to practice my baitcasting skills. Unfortunately, it parted company with the line and exists somewhere in the next door neighbour's yard, at Dunedoo. I did search for it, at the time, but wasn't heart broken when it wasn't found. Now I want it back, 23 years on!!!

Must remember to search USbay, for Burke lures.

Cheers

Travers

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:52 pm

@Powelly and fishaholics

Definitely not made for some time as indicated by Brads info . . . hard to clean too!

They do pop up from time to time on both Aussie and USA sites, rarely in the Flexo packaging but occasionally.

Brad . . . is the Cremes "Du-Dad" one of the early Cremes lures that resembles the Jitterbug style??

MXB

howdy
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

fishaholiclures
Master
Master

Post by fishaholiclures » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:09 am

Roger,
Yes indeed, although not that old, more like the late 60's early 70's. I think the Creme hardbodies were a co-operative effort between Arbogast and Creme, both being based in Ohio only makes sense as I can find no hard info on the situation.

There were in fact a couple of Creme models based on Arbogast models.
The DU DAD was a renamed Jitterbug 5/8oz Weedless model
The MAD DAD was a renamed JitterStick
There was also another one whose name escapes me just now, based on the Rib Lip jointed minnow.

I had one of each in Yellow Shore at one stage, maybe I should have kept them crazysmilie

Brad
I know what I know, the rest is simply details
acta non verba

Return to “Other U.S. Lures Not Listed”