Creek Chub 'Pikies' - cool lures

diemai
Master
Master

Re: Creek Chub 'Pikies' - cool lures

Post by diemai » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:09 pm

@ MXB

Though I am not a real collector , I love these old wooden "Pikie's" , compared to the modern plastic ones they kinda do have spirit , ........the modern ones are of low quality in my opinion !

Used to have two(swapped one by now) , the hooks were attached without splitrings(not neccessary on modern plastic lures in my opinion , as no hook rash occurs) and the rather short eye screws were set in very loose , had to glue them in . They were also too buoyant for my own taste and for their 6" size .

Nevertheless ,...... I have read somewhere , that the UK pike record was achieved with a "Pikie" during the 1990's , somewhat at 42 lbs , if my memory serves me right !
Don't know , if it still stands today , but it did for many years .

greetz , diemai howdy
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:25 pm

@Diemai . . .

The old glass eyed 'Pikies' are really nice and have a reputation for catching fish . . . some of the colour patterns are exceedingly rare and I have a mate in USA who was telling me (and he won't mind me relating this story) that he bought a small lot of about 8 boxed CCBC lures for a few thousand US$ and his mates laughed at him thinking he was mad but they were rare custom patterns and went for over one thousand each. Good buy I say . . . my ones are more garden variety lol lol

I really like the wooden jointed ones and the early construction is solid . . . if anything they are good to look at! The plastic ones as you say are fairly ordinary but from a collectors perspective some of them are quite scarce too. There were alot of these lures made as Creek Chub Bait Company was a mass producer of lures and top end US collectors will only consider them in mint or near mint condition.

Glad you appreciate them

MXB

howdy
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:13 am

@ MXB

..........a few days ago someone on "Tackleunderground" had uploaded some vintage lure repaint pictures ,..... amongst these a "Pikie" as well , ........looks pretty unusual to see those oldtimers in a modern top notch airbrush coat .

But evident to me , that after all of those years such lures are still sought after to cast them , not only put them up in a showcase(should not do this with such rare ones , that you've mentioned, would be too costly lol ) .

greetz , diemai howdy

rivermandave

Post by rivermandave » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:16 am

For you Creek Chub folks that are looking for info....this site is pretty good $$$$$

http://www.creekspeak.com/

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:58 am

@ rivermandave

Thanks for posting that link ,........really interesting thumbsupsmilie !

greetz , diemai howdy

rivermandave

Post by rivermandave » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:49 pm

The twisted wire on the rear hanger was new in the 1937 catalog....as was the ribbed lip howdy

http://nflcc.org/CPG/displayimage.php?album=10&pos=75

You will ALSO see those features on the older Lucky Strike (Canada) models....but plain ones are still made today...

http://luckystrikebaitworks.com/product.asp?p=54#

I also have to respectfully disagree about the "cup" hardware....as you can see it clearly here in this 1931 catalog page...

http://nflcc.org/CPG/displayimage.php?album=10&pos=48
MXB wrote:
theduke wrote:I picked up this Jointed Pike colour Perch a few years ago in its original box which is a bit worse for wear. Don't know all that much about the The Creek Chub Bait Co. or the age of this particular lure, it looks like it has never seen the water as it is in excellant condition except for a few age cracks. Can anyone tell me more information or if they are a great edition to a collection ??? ???
Hi The Duke;

Looks like an earlier one but you would need to check a few things which I can't see in your photo;

1. Check the bib and see if there is a patent number where the bib meets the head/body 9 - 20 -29 which means its a later one
2. I notice the rear hanger has a twist?? Not sure about that - I've never seen one like that. Also screws in head and underharness screws. The earlier pre patent have rounded screws. Check out photos
3.What is written on the back?? The really old ones have a small plaque. Normally they would have 'Chub Creek Pikie' or just 'Pikie' in the later models in GOLD only. Some pre patent ones were not marked to make it even more confusing
4.Does the lure have glass eyes . . . I think they were phased out in the 50's?? It looks like it has very nice glass eyes in the photo. Look for chips and cracks sometimes using a magnifier
5. Underbelly hardware using cup inserts were introduced in the 50's. . . still with glass eyes and patent bib.

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:36 pm

@ rivermandave

Once again , ........thanks for posting these interesting links bowsmilie !

greetz , diemai howdy

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:58 pm

Excellent info Rivermandave and thanks for clarifying my errors . . . I have alwyas found lure history a bit confusing thumbsupsmilie

Roger
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:02 pm

@Rivermandave . . .

I was aware of the ribbed lip change as I collect Dingbats and Dingers and have always looked for the non-ribbed bibs which were earlier.

Do you know when the bibs first started being marked and is it the date of the patent being finalised??

Cheers

Roger

howdy

rivermandave

Post by rivermandave » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:05 am

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you Roger crazysmilie

I've looked on the Creekspeak website....and in my collector books....and find no mention of it at all. -duh

The only patent they talk about is one in 1919 for the painting "scale pattern" process...which Henry Dills created....but for some reason assigned half of the patent rights to Heddon.

Return to “Creek Chub Bait Co.”