Master
Master

Creek Chub 'Pikies' - cool lures

Post by MXB » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:52 pm

Here's a nice old wooden CC PIKE
phpB1I2SiAM.jpg
phpUpJJQvAM.jpg
yay thumbsupsmilie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Re: Creek Chub 'Pikies' - cool lures

Post by Mully » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:54 pm

whats the age on that one ????nice lure thumbsupsmilie

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:02 pm

I think mid 50's by the eyes Mully . . . there earlier ones had glass eyes and the later ones the raised painted eyes.

Nice colour pattern tho'

Probably about 55 years old . . . . amazing

thumbsupsmilie
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

fishaholiclures
Master
Master

Post by fishaholiclures » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:49 pm

MXB, the colour is called 'Silver Flitter' or 'Silver Flitter Shad', an extremely popular colour if the number of makers that use it are any indication.... from the 40's to very recent models.

Brad
I know what I know, the rest is simply details
acta non verba

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:40 pm

Very true Brad . . . it does seem that colour pattern "Silver Flitter" was v. popular for alot of manufacturers.

I am only guessing on the age but noticed there is a wide window when they moved from glass eyed models to raised eye painted models. It has that 50's style . . . I notice ever so slight differences in paint patterns, logo imprints etc for different eras and this normally gives an indication of age.

I'll post some more in the future to show the differneces once I've photographed some more.

howdy

ropes.basstard
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ropes.basstard » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:34 pm

Please do post some more. I'd like to learn some more about these lures. I love the old school timber lures. Some of the paint jobs particularly the perch scale etc are like works of art. Thanks for the post.

laz
Guru
Guru

Post by laz » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:48 pm

Ropes .Not a Creek Chub Pikie but a Shakespeare Deep Diving Pike Getum looks very similar . Thought you might like a decko seeing as you like old school timber lures .Got this one back inthe late 70's .Catch ya
shakespeare%201.jpg
shakespeare%202.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

theduke
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by theduke » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:34 pm

I picked up this Jointed Pike colour Perch a few years ago in its original box which is a bit worse for wear. Don't know all that much about the The Creek Chub Bait Co. or the age of this particular lure, it looks like it has never seen the water as it is in excellant condition except for a few age cracks. Can anyone tell me more information or if they are a great edition to a collection ??? ???
Gidgee

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:11 pm

theduke wrote:I picked up this Jointed Pike colour Perch a few years ago in its original box which is a bit worse for wear. Don't know all that much about the The Creek Chub Bait Co. or the age of this particular lure, it looks like it has never seen the water as it is in excellant condition except for a few age cracks. Can anyone tell me more information or if they are a great edition to a collection ??? ???
Hi The Duke;

Looks like an earlier one but you would need to check a few things which I can't see in your photo;

1. Check the bib and see if there is a patent number where the bib meets the head/body 9 - 20 -29 which means its a later one
2. I notice the rear hanger has a twist?? Not sure about that - I've never seen one like that. Also screws in head and underharness screws. The earlier pre patent have rounded screws. Check out photos
3.What is written on the back?? The really old ones have a small plaque. Normally they would have 'Chub Creek Pikie' or just 'Pikie' in the later models in GOLD only. Some pre patent ones were not marked to make it even more confusing
4.Does the lure have glass eyes . . . I think they were phased out in the 50's?? It looks like it has very nice glass eyes in the photo. Look for chips and cracks sometimes using a magnifier
5. Underbelly hardware using cup inserts were introduced in the 50's. . . still with glass eyes and patent bib.

phpiEDg5mAM.jpg
phprHW8eYAM.jpg
phpeUD3GkAM.jpg
phpWKDqjmAM.jpg
phpoaHsQiAM.jpg
phpHWeBL5AM.jpg
phprhUrGBAM.jpg
phpQz3mKBAM.jpg
phpGDgUQcAM.jpg
phppGZgfXAM.jpg

It can get confusing and then the bodies changed a bit too in the 60's

There are some great sites in the USA but hope this helps

thumbsupsmilie thumbsupsmilie thumbsupsmilie

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:52 am

Here's another nice CCBC 'Pikie' in Golden Shiner;
phpeOdCknPM.jpg
phpK8LVmHPM.jpg
And the Canadian version showing differences . . .
phpDTQaYaPM.jpg
phpHBPQAjPM.jpg
php8JlxvwPM.jpg

MXB

howdy

Return to “Creek Chub Bait Co.”