Helldiver

Fizza

Re: Helldiver

Post by Fizza » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:13 pm

I've seen a collection of them somewhere and like Neil my memory isn't too flash thinking it was in a book I had. The puzzle got the better of me so I spent several hours researching and it was a pleasure to have enlightened and jolted a fading memory {Brad} lol crazysmilie

fishaholiclures
Master
Master

Post by fishaholiclures » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:32 pm

I blame drinking to much fluid from Aluminium cans for our problems lol

Brad
I know what I know, the rest is simply details
acta non verba

OLDMAN
Master
Master

Post by OLDMAN » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:41 pm

Brad its the aluminum thats the problem .
drink out of glass..

I have a couple of these and I got them with my Yellow subs.
Will try and sort out a pic..
Laurie.

OLDMAN
Master
Master

Post by OLDMAN » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:06 pm

Here they are with a couple of "different coloured subs"
Laurie.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jigmaster
Guru
Guru

Post by Jigmaster » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:49 pm

Hi guys

And well done to Shultzy for having such a memory for old articles by lure freaks.

Shakespeare definitely made the wooden Hellbender imitation. It may not be well known as the Australian company could source lures from Japan/China outside of the normal US channels. There were quite a few 'cheaper' lures made under the Shakespeare name in the 1980's.

I will look through my old papers tomorrow, but pretty sure it was called the Sand bug. Was a really good lure that didn't last very long.

laz
Guru
Guru

Post by laz » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:47 pm

Jigmaster wrote:Hi guys

And well done to Shultzy for having such a memory for old articles by lure freaks.

Shakespeare definitely made the wooden Hellbender imitation. It may not be well known as the Australian company could source lures from Japan/China outside of the normal US channels. There were quite a few 'cheaper' lures made under the Shakespeare name in the 1980's.

I will look through my old papers tomorrow, but pretty sure it was called the Sand bug. Was a really good lure that didn't last very long.
i agree with you i purchased these two wooden Shakespeare Hellbenders new back in the eighties
shakespeare deep divers.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

justonemorecast
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by justonemorecast » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:20 pm

I got me one of them in yella' with black spots and it's made from timber. Bought it about 25-30 years ago and pretty sure it was a Shakespeare. The bib has a metal pin through it. From memory the reason I bought it, was it was considerably cheaper than the Heddon version.

Regards,
Al'

rivermandave

Post by rivermandave » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:31 am

The original mfg of this lure type was Whopper Stopper....here's their 1972 catalog...

http://www.antiquefishinglures.com/whopper.htm

And this page shows the beginning of the 1978 catalog...

http://nflcc.org/CPG/thumbnails.php?album=14&page=51

And at some point after 1986 (I bought from WS directly that year) PRADCO bought the company out....and within a few years...Heddon started re-making the Hellbender and the Bayou Boogie.

IF Shakespeare ever DID make this type of lure...it wasn't sold in the US for sure thumbsupsmilie

I DO know that Atlantic Lures (see link below) made a copy of it in the late '60's-early '70's...and I don't doubt that Herter's did too.

http://nflcc.org/CPG/displayimage.php?album=14&pos=163

Also...if you do a search on the 'Net for "Shakespeare Helldiver"...the only reference you will see to it is on Mully's website here cww

Return to “Shakespeare Lures”