Shallow Pike Getum

Schultzy
Expert
Expert

Shallow Pike Getum

Post by Schultzy » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:50 pm

Found the shallow version of the Yellow Submarine in a box with a few of my other old Shakespeare lures from the seventies and eighties. It is made of timber with glass eyes and a screw holding the bib in place.
!Shallow Pike Getum.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops,
Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them

Image Image ImageImage

Fizza

Re: Shallow Pike Getum

Post by Fizza » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:59 pm

They're a great old lure Neil. thumbsupsmilie

I've got quite a few old and new CCBC lures and love them.

Schultzy
Expert
Expert

Post by Schultzy » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:34 pm

Yes Dave, these Shakespeare Pike Getums are very close to the Creek Chub Pikies, not sure who copied who. Imitating popular patterns was very commonplace in the US in the 60s and 70s. Most of the big six manufacturers seemed to come out with lures closely resembling those big sellers of their opposition. Some didn't though and remained original, like Fred Arbogast.

Check out the Shakespeare Helldiver and how closely it resembles the Hell Bender.

To muddy the water even further, when Daiwa entered the lure market they made close copies of damn near every lure sold in the US. Even small manufacturers like Falls Bait Company, had their trademark lures cloned by Daiwa.
Last edited by Schultzy on Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops,
Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them

Image Image ImageImage

fishaholiclures
Master
Master

Post by fishaholiclures » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:07 pm

Neil,
The Pikie Getums were actually a Paw Paw product added to the range in 1970 when Shakespeare bought Paw Paw (so were the Grumpy & Dozey no they weren't BAD INFO SORRY). The Pikie series was actually designed and first made by the Arnold Tackle Comp which Paw Paw bought in 1960. The Yellow Submarine colour is Paw Paw colour #30 Yellow Red & Black Spots.
Your lure could also have been made in Hong Kong as Shakespeare had some wooden lures produced there in the early 70's.

Brad

Ref: Russell E Lewis - Modern Fishing Lure Collectibles Vol1
I know what I know, the rest is simply details
acta non verba

Fizza

Post by Fizza » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:17 pm

Brad you just answered my next question being Hong Kong made. I sold an absolutely beautiful timber Shakespeare fizzer a couple of yrs ago which had Made in Hong Kong inked on it

Return to “Shakespeare Lures”