Jitterbugs Pics/Info.

KFiedler
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Jitterbugs Pics/Info.

Post by KFiedler » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:05 am

Hope nobody minds if I start a thread, but I didn't want to de-rail the last one! There seems to be a few Jitterbug enthusiasts on here so I'd like to share some information/pictures...If anyone has any questions..don't hesitate to ask!

As previously mentioned I've collected Jitterbugs for about 12 years...In that time I've gathered a collection of over 300 different Jitterbugs. A lot of my purchases have came from eBay, and direct sales from other collectors. I still pick up a few Jitterbugs a year, but it's tougher to find ones I need now as opposed to 10 years ago!

I'll start with some information on my favorite Jitterbugs.
These Jitterbugs (with the exception of the top right hand corner Natural Cedar) were ordered special from the factory by collector Billy Prince. He ordered 2 of each in roughly 110 different colors. There are a handful of colors he ordered 3 of each. He ordered them for a price of 3 for $25! Billy was a well known Jitterbug collector 15+ years ago, and had a good relationship with the Arbogast factory!). 1 complete collection of these Jitterbugs is known to exist, and it has changed hands several times...the last time was 2007. I was offered a chance to purchase the collection, but I couldn't afford the $18,000 asking price! The other collection was split up, and forgotten about until 2 years ago when a collector found it. I managed to purchase 15 from him. I had previously came across the white head/blue off eBay around 2000 or so, it's one of the colors that 3 of each were produced. I have copies of *most* of the invoices for the paperwork from the Arbogast factory and Billy Prince. Billy also ordered a number of special 5/8oz Jitterbugs. I do not have any of those, but I have seen most, if not all of them. I was offered opportunities to purchase a good portion of those, but at the time had just committed to buying a number of rare Jitterbugs from a large collection, so I had to pass. Some pretty wild colors on the Musky Jitterbugs! I love the 2 blue-scale ones in the bottom right hand corner. One has a yellow belly, one has a white belly.

Those Musky Jitterbugs are my favorite...these are my favorite 5/8oz Jitterbugs.
Top Pair: Red Glitter Ghost and Blue Glitter Ghost. Pradco (The company which now owns the rights to produce Fred Arbogast baits), is now producing these two colors out of Japan. There are some distinct differences between Arbogast and Pradco Jitterbugs, I will go over this in perhaps another post! These 2 are legit Arbogast ones. They were offered as special order colors to dealers in 1991 if they ordered a certain quantity of baits. Really difficult to find. I spent roughly 9 years looking for these 2 Jitterbugs!
2nd Pair from Top: Legitimate Arbogast Blue/White from early 1990s, and Black/White. Pradco has also begun reproducing Blue/White, but this one is prior to that. I know another of the Blue/white's exist, but I haven't seen another Black/White like this.
3rd pair from top: Red Head/Yellow and Pearl. Never heard of another Red Head/Yellow, and Pearl at one time was a factory color, but this style (Plastic bait, flat eye) was special ordered.
4th pair from bottom: 2 special order colors..bone and purple scale.
Bottom pair: The Red Head/Polka dot is...probably one of a kind. Bait dates to late 1940's/early 1950's based on Hardware/Body/Eye style. I found this bait in 2007 or so in the collection of a man who "accumulated" thousands of lures through the previous 20 years, and he had found it in Ohio. I showed this bait off a lot when I found it, and Pradco is now producing this color on some Jitterbugs for the Japanese Market! I think, if sold, it might come close to setting a record for a Jitterbug in price. The bait across from it is White Scale, which by the time this bait was produced (1960s) was a special order color.

Those are some of my favorites. I'll post more when I get a chance, but it's time for me to eat!

Kevin

oog663
Expert
Expert

Re: Jitterbugs Pics/Info.

Post by oog663 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:42 am

Kevin best Jitterbug collection I have ever seen... by far. Very Nice, and some great history to go with them. Will wait with interest on your future posts... Well done clapclap clapclap
Steve
*** Neighbours Cats make nice Hats ***

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:52 pm

@KFiedler . . .

Well I am blown away and thanks for all the information regards the history of your J/Bug collection. The Jitterbug is a highly respected lure in Australia and some of us rate the Black Jitterbug as the best bass lure of all time . . . we did a poll recently and it was mentioned by many members as their first choice especially for evening night fishing.

The history of the Musky sized bugs is especially interesting as I have never seen many of those colours nor even heard of them . . . are they timber or plastic versions? I'm assuming wood due to vintage? The price of $18,000 is mighty steep but I suppose $500+ lures add up as a lot!!

The 5/8 oz size display is an interesting bunch also and the spotted one would probably set a good record if ever coming to market as it is an early one and very unique. It should be mentioned that yesterday an early clear plastic Jitterbug with 1st generation hardware went for US$416 on ebay and was a sensational looking lure that would have filled a hole in most collections. I personally don't value the Japanese colours however they will become collectable in time too I suppose and are interesting.

Just amazing Kevin and thanks for posting clapclap thumbsupsmilie droolsmilie droolsmilie thumbsupsmilie clapclap

MXB

howdy
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

KFiedler
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by KFiedler » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:35 pm

@MXB...
The Jitterbug is my favorite lure to fish with, by far!

Some of the colors are crazy...Reading off of one of the invoices from 1992...Red Head/Blue Body/White Frog, Yellow Body/Green Scale/Black Frog Spots, Yellow Body/Green Coachdog, a lot of really unique colors. They are all wood (timber) versions.

I saw that Ghost/Red Eyes one when it was around $200...didn't catch what it sold for! $416! I did pick up a really nice 5/8oz Wooden Frog with Introduction Hardware and double hooks last night for $125 on eBay! I didn't think it would go for $125, but I really wanted it. I'd like the Dealer Box of WW2 Jitterbugs that are up there now...but not for $850. That seller had one of the most impressive Jitterbug collections ever until he broke it up a few years ago.

The new Japanese colors sure are interesting! I do not collect them, although I do have two of them. I recently picked up one of the New Red Head/Polka dots to go with my original, and I have one of the Strawberry Spots..which were the first ones to come out of Japan in 2005 or so. I have noticed some of the Japanese colors sell for a lot of money...but there are enough Arbogast produced baits out there for me to concentrate on!

Next on my wishlist is a nice 2-hook Musky! Are you familiar with them?

Have you seen the 1992 Special Order Color Chart? It was in the 1992 Dealers Catalog...it showed the colors dealers could special order in quantity. If not, I'll scan a picture of it for tomorrow.

Rupe
Master
Master

Post by Rupe » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:45 pm

Gotta love the Bug....

So many have tried to emulate the action & fish catching success of it but have fallen way short!

Mr Arbogast was either very lucky of a total GENIUS!
Rupe.

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught...

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:58 pm

@Rupe . . .

Didn't you catch that monster bass on a Jitterbug when you were a kid?? I know your Dad rates them highly!

@K Fiedler . . .

Some of those older Jitterbugs are fetching big bucks nowadays - couldn't be too many dealer boxes around tho' that are on the market.
Its certainly an investment for the future thumbsupsmilie
Congratulations on getting the lure you wanted - sometimes we pay a premium to complete our collections
No I'm not aware of the 2-hook version of the Musky sized bug - I've always collected the smallest ones, fly rod and up to 5/8 oz and am yet to own a wooden Jitterbug . . . its hard to access them from OZ lol
Good to hear you were able to get the red head/polka dot - particular significance since you have the original thumbsupsmilie
I've sent a PM with my contact details which you should be able to access after 5 posts I think

MXB

howdy
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

Rellik-doc-rob
Guru
Guru

Post by Rellik-doc-rob » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:16 pm

Fred Arbogast..... No Luck....Pure Genius !![/color][/color]
Rellik-Doc-Rob...

The Harder I work, the luckier I get...

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:25 am

Welcome Kevin ti the site and thank for showing off your awesome collection and sharing the background behind these beautys i look forward also to the colour chart and reading more about your collection current and ongoing... thumbsupsmilie clapclap

KFiedler
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by KFiedler » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:25 am

Here's the color chart I referenced! If pic doesn't show up full size, here's a link:
http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv88 ... oes/SO.jpg

Lot's of really cool colors on here..In 12 years I've seen at least 1 example of *most* of these, but not all. All of these colors were special orders for 1992. For example, Brown Scale was a cataloged color in the 60's/70's, but by 1992...in that style bait (Plastic Baits, Flat Eye), if you wanted it..you needed to order 10dozen of them as a dealer! As far as I know, this is the only year this chart was published, and it's found in the dealer catalog for that year.

I'll post some more pictures tonight.
Kevin
thumbsupsmilie

KFiedler
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by KFiedler » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:03 am

Some smaller size Jbugs..
Top Row: 1/4oz's Black/White Spotted...really tough color to find. Blue Glitter Ghost. When I first started collecting Jitterbugs I started on 1/4oz as I enjoyed fishing with them the most, I'll always be most partial to them!
Middle: 1/8oz Jitterbug in Brown Scale
Next: 3/8oz Purple Luminous Coachdog (She glows in the dark!) & Blue Glitter Ghost
Bottom: 1/8oz Plastic Lip Jbug New on original card! You seldom see these still on the card.

Top Row: Black with Introductory Hardware Mint in Box, Solid Orange with WW2 Lip Mint in Box
2nd Row: Red/White with Intro Hardware, showing what the original Hardware on wooden Jitterbugs looked like. Pearl Herringbone with WW2 Lip.
3rd Row: Blue/White earliest style with "Surface" Hardware..late 1940's/early 1950. Fatter Body, Hardware is "Surface rig" but it's the heaviest style. Blue head is lighter too making it earlier than the Jitterbug on the right which has a thinner body and darker blue head.
4th Row: This color is referred to as Big O Special, but not much is known about what years it was made. It's tough to find, but they are out there. Not sure if produced for an event, trial run, or what. Color has glitter on the belly. Also white/black spotted. Tough to find and uncatalogued color, but they pop up occasionally.
Bottom: For every 5 white/black spotted that show up...1 of these might show up. Yellow/Black Spotted, very tough to find.
Top: Wooden Single hook in "Peanut" size. These are quite a bit scarcer to find than 5/8oz Wooden 2-hook Jitterbugs.

Kevin

Return to “Fred Arbogast”