Re: Eric Moller old and new the man

Eric Moller
Capt.Seaweed
Guru
Guru

Post by Capt.Seaweed » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:03 pm

I'm fortunate to have two of Erics.
Wonder how many more are out there, hiding in tackle boxes in FNQ.
Regards, Tony (Wulagi, NT).
"Always merry and bright"

fish69blue
Rookie
Rookie

Post by fish69blue » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:46 pm

Hundreds Tony but my persuit of them never falters.I had been waiting for a parcel from Cooktown for quite some time and when it finally arrived I was surprised.An 85 year resident of Cooktown gave me all his fishing gear and I expected to find quite a few C lures but in it were 3 Mollers in reasonable shape which was very nice.He had a few old alveys and rods as well.You never know what is around the corner.Regards Barry

Marrakai
Guru
Guru

Post by Marrakai » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:42 am

Since this thread is now sticky, I figured a previously-posted portrait of Eric Moller at his workbench would be appropriate here.

<click to enlarge>
EricMoller_atWork.jpg
This photo is from the North Queensland Fishing Museum 'Hall of Fame' at Bransford's Tackleshop, Clifton Beach, north of Cairns.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marrakai
Australia's Top End

Marrakai
Guru
Guru

Post by Marrakai » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:19 pm

Just tossed-up a McCristal article on the history of the Australian cottage lure industry, from Vic's North Queensland perspective.
Naturally it contains a heap of info on Eric Moller and his lures, rightly accrediting him with a dominant influence in getting the whole Aussie timber phenomenon off the ground.

View it here.

Interesting that Vic takes credit for introducing Eric to lures, and for giving him the Heddon Tiger he used as a pattern for the original Moller Lure!
The rest, as they say, is history. G'donya Vic!

BTW, I'm sure McSea would have penned a tribute to Eric Moller following his passing in 1981.
That would no doubt contain a great deal of testament for the Moller disciple.
Unfortunately I am unable to locate such an article, and can't remember one at the time.
Anyone here have a clearer recollection?
Marrakai
Australia's Top End

oldfish
Expert
Expert

Post by oldfish » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:17 pm

I am currently waiting on a Dec 81 Outdoors which my mate says has a small article on Eric
following his passing in Sept 81.Don't really know the author or how big until I get it.

Cheers,Jim

Capt.Seaweed
Guru
Guru

Post by Capt.Seaweed » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:32 pm

Jim, that would be great to see mate.
Marrakai, I've also heard that Vic gave Eric the 4" Heddon Tiger to copy, after he saw him catch a string of fish on it in their local creek.
You can definitely see the lines of the Tiger in the two minnows I own, same length, but slightly chunkier through the body.

fish69blue
Rookie
Rookie

Post by fish69blue » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:17 pm

Tony here is the original Tiger given to Eric you are talking about.It is signed by Vic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Capt.Seaweed
Guru
Guru

Post by Capt.Seaweed » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:00 am

Barry,
That's a real piece of history you have there, thanks for showing. These first came out in 1966/67 in the US, so Vic must have been one of the very first Aussies (if not the first), to swim them in FNQ. Suppose this gives us a starting date for Eric's minnows?

Return to “Eric Moller”