JJ's Stumpjumper Lures
Stephen Booth
Expert
Expert

Re: Timber Stump Jumpers

Post by Stephen Booth » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:58 pm

Thanks Mully maddd maddd

Now it's serious!

I love this pointless banter when I am busy making mags at work - real good stress relievers. Keep it up boys.

SB

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:47 pm

its true i used to get them from a little service station self serve reset the old counter on the bowsers etc and all he had hundreds of woodies on the wall the only lure he sold actually and the green frogs and red/blacks weealways the most in demand probably why none around today ...have tyou seen the green with yellow gills i called them frogs but they were a cod slayer as the reds were back then also...
If i hear or spy one which is very possible as im always offered marvellous lures but can never afford them ill pass the info on to you mate still have friends up mildura way so who knows even the service station owner may have a few boxes he forgot about down the back if he does and still only wants the original price then im getting the lot lol lol lol nahnah nahnah nahnah then ill proceed to tease you

brolly
Guru
Guru

Post by brolly » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:24 am

[quote="simon bruce"]Scampis, what's a scampi?

Heard of them and seen them on ebay but are they even a real lure?[/quote
Simon here's some SKUMPIES lol lol lol

Well Boothy here is your long awaited red(fluro)&black timber stumpie,John Ellis painted this one in about 92 which could have been around the time the plastic range was released(not sure) This colour was a catalogue colour in the first of the plastic so it all adds up to being from the last run of timber ones made.Anyway it's all yours but you may have to pick it up in person cause i don't travel so well with timber collectables.Not long back i was admiring some recently aquired timber lures on the front seat of the hilux when i realised the car in front had suddenly stopped to turn right and to avoid the accident i mounted the footpath on a very busy road.No damage done(only to my pride)but yea true story.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Capt.Seaweed
Guru
Guru

Post by Capt.Seaweed » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:33 pm

Guys,
Excuse my ignorance, I'm enjoying this thread, but never really heard of these lures until joining L&M. Obviously a very effective lure down south for many years, going by the rave reviews.
Brolly's timber examples looked great, but couldn't help notice that after making such a terrific looking lure, the maker went and stuck those halographic eyes on them. Must have been a let-down to the fans of this lure? I maybe biased, but look at all the timber makers up north, always painted eyes, that extra yard.
Anyway, what I'm driving at is, are these in plastic worth seeking, as I'm sure I saw one the other day in a local secondhand shop. After reading this forum I'm sure it's a Stumpjumper, looked like the eyes had dropped-out and a bit rough, but is it worth returning for?
Regards, Tony (Wulagi, NT).
"Always merry and bright"

simon bruce
Master
Master

Post by simon bruce » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:50 pm

Tony

not knowing much about stumpjumpers but knowing that they went to plastic after timber a plastic one in not very good nick might not be worth the bother.

I imagine there would be different iterations of the plastic ones but unless you knew the ins and outs of it and again not in good nick.

Then again if it didn't cost that much you can post it on here and any number of knowledgeable people would be able to advise on it.

The other reason to avoid them would be that the first one opens the door on a slippery slope to bcoming a stumpjumperaholic culminating in the quest for the mother of pearl stumpie of which only 50 were made.

Unless it is the same place you got your $5 Norm Edwards then i would be dropping in there every other day.

Anyway everyone knows what goes with opinions but that's mine

Simon

brolly
Guru
Guru

Post by brolly » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:18 am

barraguru wrote:Guys,
Excuse my ignorance, I'm enjoying this thread, but never really heard of these lures until joining L&M. Obviously a very effective lure down south for many years, going by the rave reviews.
Brolly's timber examples looked great, but couldn't help notice that after making such a terrific looking lure, the maker went and stuck those halographic eyes on them. Must have been a let-down to the fans of this lure? I maybe biased, but look at all the timber makers up north, always painted eyes, that extra yard.
Anyway, what I'm driving at is, are these in plastic worth seeking, as I'm sure I saw one the other day in a local secondhand shop. After reading this forum I'm sure it's a Stumpjumper, looked like the eyes had dropped-out and a bit rough, but is it worth returning for?
Regards, Tony (Wulagi, NT).
Tony ,I've always wondered the same thing in regard to the eyes being a cheap looking stick on.The first timber Stump jumper i bought for my collection i got very cheap because both the owner and myself figured it for a repaint and someone just plonked a couple of stick on eyes on it but as i accrued more it was obvious that John Ellis made them this way.One can only imagine that he didn't do painted eyes to well
lol but i have to admitt i have never seen an original timber Stump Jumper with painted eyes so who knows if they were ever sold any other way.

???

Capt.Seaweed
Guru
Guru

Post by Capt.Seaweed » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:37 am

Brolly & Simon,
Thanks for the feedback, I'll have a look next time I'm in that shop, won't rush back though.
These lures in timber fetching such high prices, met a chippy from the Murray who's been up here working for a while.
He told me he sold two of these for around $500 each, couldn't believe it himself, when next he visits the family farm going to check a bucket his father has in the shed, thinks there maybe more of the timbers.
Is this maker John Ellis still with us? Wondering with these prices, he can't be tempted to start carving again, must have crossed his mind, there again the price would drop and they wouldn't be so collectable, if he does I hope someone shows him how to paint eyes. lol
Regards, Tony, (Wulagi,NT).
"Always merry and bright"

Stephen Booth
Expert
Expert

Post by Stephen Booth » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:45 am

John is most certainly still with us and a lovely bloke. Spends his time prospecting these days and working on new colours and alternate designs for the plastic ones with JM Gillies in Melbourne.

Watch out for the next Kad Club newsletter as there will be a StumpJumper feature in there from a Kad Club member with history and the like.

SB

Return to “JJ's Stumpjumper Lures”