Wonderful Wonder Lures

Wonder Lures
Marrakai
Guru
Guru

Re: Wonderful Wonder Lures

Post by Marrakai » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:08 pm

Hah! Forgot about the 'Froggy', Brolly. Nice reminder.

...and Laz, do Luhr Jensen make the Super Duper today? I've only seen the original South Bend versions, got one around here somewhere, and the Aussie ones as shown in the Wonder Lures advert I posted earlier.

And thirdly, here's another one off that advert: the Wonder Hot Shot spinner
(this one fitted with a trout-fly rather than a treble!):
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marrakai
Australia's Top End

oldfish
Expert
Expert

Post by oldfish » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:22 am

Wonder Fishing Tackle Co., East Brighton,Vic (Melbourne suburb)

Also made the Wonder Lucky "7" for spinning or trolling, a lead head single spinner with a trailing red and white feather fly.

Cheers,Jim

laz
Guru
Guru

Post by laz » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:53 am

Marrakai .Luhr Jensen were still making the Super - Duper in 2007 . Here is a photo of my one and only Super - Duper lure it has no makers mark on it. also it has red paint on the inside bend i think the paint job was added on by the past owner it does not look original to me .
Super Duper.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fishaholiclures
Master
Master

Post by fishaholiclures » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:17 pm

Laz, red paint on the outside near the tow point is original for Super Dupers, also some which were painted red inside and out.
You are correct with the Luhr Jensen making the Super Duper up until recent times. It came in 7 lengths and up to 23 colours depending on size.
on the makers
United States Patent #2719378
Inventors:Salm, Leslie B.
Publication Date:10/04/1955
Assignee:SOUTH BEND BAIT COMPANY
>>South Bend sold the rights to most of their product line to BF Gladding Corp in 1964. Luhr Jensen bought the rights to the Super Duper from from Gladding in 1982 along with many other brands of lures they continued to make.

I haven't heard whether the Super Duper will remain in the Rapala line up, but am assuming it will as it was a popular seller for LJ in the US and Europe.

Brad
I know what I know, the rest is simply details
acta non verba

Schultzy
Expert
Expert

Post by Schultzy » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:18 am

Marrakai wrote:Mully:

Also, did J.M.Gillies make (commission) them, or just distribute them?

Wonder Lures was a stand alone company.

As mentioned in one of my columns in Barra & Bass, it was owned & operated by John Nowak snr in Melbourne.

It is John Snr's son, also John Nowak, who makes Javelin Lures on the Gold Coast.
If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops,
Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them

Image Image ImageImage

Melaniemelmel76
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by Melaniemelmel76 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:55 am

I just started collecting lures. I have been fishing all my life but am no Pro by any means. Just bought a vintage
Wonder Sparky from Ebay. Was wondering if it's basiclly an Austrailian lure or are they all over? Any info on these lures would be greatly appreciated.

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:29 pm

Melaniemelmel76 wrote:I just started collecting lures. I have been fishing all my life but am no Pro by any means. Just bought a vintage
Wonder Sparky from Ebay. Was wondering if it's basiclly an Austrailian lure or are they all over? Any info on these lures would be greatly appreciated.
..............welcome to LureAndmore , great to have you here howdy !

Sorry , but I can't tell you more other than what has been written on previous pages of this topic .

At least I have never come across that "Sparky's" shape elsewhere , so my shot in the dark would be that it might be a genuine Australian design ?

Only one of these here looks a bit similar :

http://www.lureandmore.com/viewtopic.php?f=371&t=6322

greetz , diemai howdy
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

BigAussie
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by BigAussie » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:19 am

Hi

I am an Aussie living in Vancouver, BC and fish for cutthroat trout in freshwater lakes on beautiful Salt Spring Island.

I remembered the silver Wonder Wobler from my youth in Bright, Vic so had a friend send me three 6 months ago.

They have been very successfull all summer long but two are now up trees. -duh

I can't find them for sale on the web. Can anybody tell me where I can find a supplier who would mail me some more 10 gm or smaller ones?

Cheers

BigAussie

Mzuri3
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Mzuri3 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:39 pm

G'day Big Aussie

Yep, they are a really effective lure, and the lure has been a popular style with copy cat companies, and thankfully that is so, as original Wonder Wobblers are now hard to come by.

I have only seen the odd copycat variety of late, and the stores that I have spotted them don't have internet shopping, and the other well known internet stores appear not to have any too.

I have only come across one site, which I have never dealt with, but hopefully they are reliable.

http://www.campbellsprotackle.com/store ... sp?ID=3006

They have Halco Wobbler Sparklers which are a Wonder Wobbler look alike, and appear to swim the same, perhaps you can give em a try.

There are also a couple of other look alike brands on the market, but once again, I can't find them on a internet shopping site, but perhaps you can do a more thorough search.

These are:

GILLIES FRESHWATER WOBBLER LURE
http://jmgillies.com.au/?p=727

GILLIES SALTWATER WOBBLER LURES
http://jmgillies.com.au/?p=901

Tsunami Wobbler Lures
http://www.jarviswalker.com.au/tsunami- ... lures.html

Tight Lines

Rob

BigAussie
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by BigAussie » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:22 am

Thanks Rob

I tracked down the manufacturer - Peter Nowak - who I think is retired, but still had a supply on hand.

He mailed 20 to me in Canada at a very reasonable price clapclap

I didn't know there were gold as well as silver, and that the gold were sometimes painted.

I haven't had a chance to try them out yet zippedsmilie
Wonder Wobblers #2.jpg

Return to “Wonder Lures”