Wonderful Wonder Lures

Wonder Lures
Marrakai
Guru
Guru

Wonderful Wonder Lures

Post by Marrakai » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:45 pm

What?!! No Wonder Lure posts?!!

Looks like we just take them for granted.....

In my formative youth, the Wonder Wobbler was a great stand-by, ever ready to take on just about any salt-water fishing situation, and the smaller sizes were not bad in the sweet-water either if clear of snags and weed.

Hard to imagine how it could have been improved upon, then along came the Wonder Surf-rider!

Like many of us here, I murdered more than my fair share of flathead, tailor, doggie-mackerel, goldies etc (even barra!) with this pair of chrome wobblers.

So, a toast to the Wonder Wobbler and Surf-Rider, arguably the best pair of Australian metals ever made! Image

Marrakai
Australia's Top End

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Re: Wonderful Wonder Lures

Post by Mully » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:57 pm

nice lures thumbsupsmilie i also have some but forgot to post them plus i have many i havent photographed

Marrakai
Guru
Guru

Post by Marrakai » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:40 pm

Mully:
Just saw your July Wonder Wobbler post in the <Metal Spoons/Spinners/Slices/Wobblers> forum! Oh well...

I have a few others too, a copper Red-Eye, some Super-Dupers, Hot-Shot spinners, and the Wonder spoons of course. Also their copy of the Hardy 'Imp' IIRC.
Will dig them out too.
Did they make the Hot-Zot, or was that someone else? Maybe the Sparky was a Hot-Zot copy, memory at fault.

Also, did J.M.Gillies make (commission) them, or just distribute them?
The contribution of this company to Australian lure fishing during the post-war vacuum cannot be overstated.
Marrakai
Australia's Top End

Marrakai
Guru
Guru

Post by Marrakai » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:28 pm

Looks like J.M.Gillies was just the distributor.
WonderLures_1966.gif
This 'good oil' from Schultzie's column in the latest "Barra, Bass & Bream" magazine:

Wonder Lures were made by John Nowak Snr, a US serviceman who married a local girl and settled in Melbourne after the war.
The Nowak family still makes metal lures, now on the Gold Coast under the Javelin Lure Co. brand.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marrakai
Australia's Top End

laz
Guru
Guru

Post by laz » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:12 pm

Haven't seen a Wonder Flash so here's mine.The spoon is 1& 3/4 inches long not including the trebles .Found it in an old tackle box jammed under a large boulder when the local dam level dropped to about 16% a few years back now .The split rings and trebles have been replaced .
Wonder spoon 1.jpg
Wonder spoon 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:13 pm

@ Marrakai

Very interesting catalog copy and write up(also your initial post) !

Apart from the "Wonder Wobbler" I am familiar to all the lure shapes shown there ,..... looks like this ceratin Mr. Novak produced lure models in Australia ,that he was familiar to from the US ????

I can see a "Hofschneider" , a "Daredevle" and a "Mepps" there(though these ones first came out in Europe about the early 1950's or late 1940's) .

I am not sure about the origin of the "Super Duper" , but I have seen such lures in an early 2000's catalog by US mailorder "BassProShops" , also named the same way , .........can't remember the producer , though !

Very uncertain about the "Wonder Wobbler" ,....... but I guess , that I have seen a lure like that in a US lure collector's book before , but I can't recall for sure !

Thanks for posting , ...........greetz , diemai howdy
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

laz
Guru
Guru

Post by laz » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:54 pm

Diemai Luhr-Jensen makes the Super Duper Lures.

laz
Guru
Guru

Post by laz » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:30 pm

[quote="bullrout22"]Laz

Thanks for showing us that one I can't remember it

Does any one know how many different lure's they brought out ???

bullrout i wouldn't have a clue how many different lures they brought out but here is the names of a couple not mention so far . The Wonder Whizz this a trolling drone type lure , Wonder Minnow,The Wonder Spoon ( looks like a Toby copy ) ,Wonder Bar Spoon ( its spinner not a spoon ) pictures of these lures can be found in Roger Hungerford's book How to Fish With Lures. catch ya

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:39 pm

@ laz

Thanks again , mate , ........I also made a few knock-offs after the pictures in that catalog , but haven't fished these yet(after many years not still) -duh -duh .

greetz , diemai howdy
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

brolly
Guru
Guru

Post by brolly » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:25 pm

I found a couple of these Wonder Froggy's in the shed,i guess they're part of the Wonder Family
???

Return to “Wonder Lures”