SEEKERS CATALOGUE....MARK DOBBIN, Reference Only.

Seeker Lures
vince.
Site Admin
Site Admin

SEEKERS CATALOGUE....MARK DOBBIN, Reference Only.

Post by vince. » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:17 am

In order to complete the series of Seekers catalogues, Albert has asked me to start a thread on the Mark Dobbin Seekers. As I am not as articulate as my friend, please don`t expect the same quality reference piece as the previous three threads.

I talked to Mark a few years ago & my good mate Albert has spoken to him recently. The information in this thread was sourced from those conversations. If anyone is able or willing to add to this small amount of information, it will be greatly appreciated.

The Seeker story continued after Mark Dobbin purchased the business from Mrs. Hendry in 1997. When I spoke to Mark, I found him to be, warm, friendly , very helpful & easy going. I`m not sure, but I`m hoping this would have made it easier for Mrs Hendry to see her husband`s work being passed on, knowing it was to such a nice bloke.

Mark is a Carpenter by trade & is now 56 years old & living in Lockwood, only a few kilometres from where Ken lived & made his lures.

There were some transitional lures that Mark completed after the purchase. There were around 100 of these bodies that came with the sale, some were placed on old cards that Mark modified with his particulars.

A few examples of these, one on the modified card
Seekers & Marks 005.JPG
Seekers & Marks 006.JPG
Seekers & Marks 004.JPG

He then went on to modify the design by tapering the tail & scalloping the belly. He also went into moulding the 90`s, but stayed with Cedar for the 70`s & 55`s. The bibs in the timber lures are glued & pinned by the front hook hanger wire. Mark refined the whole lure really, right through to the finish put on them.
There were only a handful of the round bibbed lures done, the Chisel bib was preferred by Mark & he stayed with it. The chisel bib lures with the single serration were the earlier ones done.
When the original cards ran out, Mark then went onto the Blue cards. I have only seen these in pics, unfortunately. I have also noticed some pink cards in George`s fantastic thread.

These pics hopefully give some idea of the changes made. The lure in the middle of the first pic is a transitional lure, carved by Ken.
Seekers & Marks 007.JPG
Seekers & Marks 008.JPG
This best shows the difference, I think
Seekers & Marks 009.JPG

The two below, by Mark, one unsigned, show a variation in his changes.
Seekers & Marks 010.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards.....Vince.

vince.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SEEKERS CATALOGUE....MARK DOBBIN

Post by vince. » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:27 am

Apart from the obvious shape difference in the two, the signature is probably the best way to be sure who`s is who`s. This is important in the transitional lures that still had Ken`s shape. If the signature is printed in capital letters, then it is Mark`s. Kens, that were signed, were all done with running writing, except the ones stamped on the bib. We now know that Ken did all the signing on his, Mark, also does all his own signing.

This pic clearly shows the two different styles. There are naturally slight variations on different lures, but very different styles indeed.
Seekers & Marks 003.JPG

My rather modest collection of Mark Dobbin`s work, isn`t nearly enough to fairly display his talent. I`m hoping others will help out with this. I think they are a valuable part of the Seeker story.

My only 55
Seekers & Marks 012.JPG

Some 70`s
Seekers & Marks 011.JPG

Two timber 90`s
Seekers & Marks 017.JPG

Moulded 90`s
Seekers & Marks 015.JPG
Seekers & Marks 016.JPG
These are none of the above, one is 50mm & the other is 65mm & both very different.
Seekers & Marks 013.JPG
Seekers & Marks 014.JPG
Due to a serious, work related eye injury, Mark has done very little with the lures in the last couple of years. None apart from a few 55`s done at the insistence of some of his good mates. Good news is that he “Will be back” when he retires. He has 400 odd bodies ready to finish at the moment & I can`t wait to get hold of a few when they are finally done.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards.....Vince.

ocd1688
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ocd1688 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:09 pm

Only a couple to add to the 70's line up

A Carp
IMG_2660.JPG
IMG_2661.JPG
IMG_2662.JPG
And a ? Frog
IMG_2663.JPG
IMG_2664.JPG
IMG_2665.JPG

Albert

vince.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by vince. » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:32 pm

A few more pics showing the change over ones.

These 90`s look to have been altered a little by Mark
Tranny Seekers 001.JPG
Tranny Seekers 002.JPG
The one in the middle is Marks, it`s not only shorter but more tapered
Tranny Seekers 005.JPG
The 70`s look to be the same as Ken`s, no modification at this stage.
Tranny Seekers 004.JPG
Tranny Seekers 003.JPG
Mark`s in the middle again
Tranny Seekers 007.JPG
Tranny Seekers 008.JPG
Regards.....Vince.

George
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by George » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:39 pm

IMGP7092 (Large).JPG
IMGP7093 (Large).JPG
IMGP7091 (Large).JPG
IMGP7096 (Large).JPG
IMGP7088 (Large).JPG
IMGP7089 (Large).JPG

ocd1688
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ocd1688 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:21 pm

just a few more
IMG_2099.JPG
IMG_2098.JPG
IMG_2239.JPG
IMG_2238.JPG

Albert thumbsupsmilie

George
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by George » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:07 pm

IMGP7110 (Large).JPG
IMGP7109 (Large).JPG
IMGP7107 (Large).JPG
IMGP7106 (Large).JPG
IMGP7103 (Large).JPG
IMGP7102 (Large).JPG
IMGP7105 (Large).JPG
IMGP7104 (Large).JPG

George
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by George » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:35 pm

Most of these have swam thousands of miles underwater and caught some big fish!
IMGP7114 (Large).JPG
IMGP7113 (Large).JPG
IMGP7119 (Large).JPG
IMGP7117 (Large).JPG
IMGP7112 (Large).JPG
IMGP7111 (Large).JPG

vince.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by vince. » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:44 am

Gav`s & seekers 004.JPG
Gav`s & seekers 005.JPG
Regards.....Vince.

Baz
Guru
Guru
Mood:

Post by Baz » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:04 pm

My one and only Dobbin Seeker.I brought it around 3-4 years ago.It's a fat little fella, must be 30mm wide.
001.JPG
002.JPG
Wishin I was Fishin..!!

Return to “Seeker Lures”