Tilsan Lures (pre Halco)

Tilsan Lures
Bazza
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Tilsan Lures (pre Halco)

Post by Bazza » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:17 pm

Are "Tilsan Lures", pre Halco taking control worth a look as collection options?

Bazza
Ya never know whats on your HORIZON!

Craig
Master
Master

Re: Tilsan Lures (pre Halco)

Post by Craig » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:42 pm

I have both and can't tell them apart.
Tagged and Released

fishaholiclures
Master
Master

Post by fishaholiclures » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:02 pm

Hi Guys, Hoping some one can help witha query.
I just aquired three Tilsan Bass lures pre bullet proof bib and 2 are possibly pre Halco or left overs from the original owners.

The one I suspect is a Halco product has Gold eyes with black pupils, the other 2 have yellow eyes with black pupils and the eyes are smaller and slightly more forward on the head.

The possible Halco also has a different shape to the fin pad printed on the side, as well as a lateral line which the others dont have. The gill markings are also heavier and different in layout to the other 2.

There are also slight differences in the profiles of the body and shape of the under chin area.

I will post up a pic over the weekend to show the differences more clearly. All have Tilsan & Australia moulded into the bib as well.

Cheers Brad
I know what I know, the rest is simply details
acta non verba

Bazza
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by Bazza » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:11 pm

Ok!
First pic will show the Halco Tilsan on the top, with Tilsan Original on bottom. You may note that the eyes are further forward and slightly atop of the lure in the Halco Tilsan. Colour variation is only slight and that is a difficult thing to get right time after time.
However, have a look at the front treble harness. You will note that the Halco (top) protrudes further than the Tilsan (bottom). If these full body harnesses are the same, from the same manufacturer, then you would be right in thinking the Halco manufactured product is more streamlined (for want of a better word). Different profile!

Now look at picture two. You will firstly note that the eyes are different. The Original Tilsan Bass is on the right and the Halco Tilsan Bass is on the left. The eyes are the main difference here at first glance. But if you can see detail from my pics, you will note that the bib hold into the body is different. The Tilsan fits great and the Halco Tilsan does not quite fit properly. In fact the Halco product has a bib that has the bib sticking out about half 1mm either side. The Tilsan job has the bib fitting into the body.

Not trying to stir up anyone one way or the other, but this raises the point! At which stage does a lure become a collectable? Or what signifies what is collectable? I have a few Tilsan lures that were a one off colour painted just for me, does that make them collectable? Buggered if I know!

Images could appera the other way around. Please forgive if that is the case!

Bazza
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ya never know whats on your HORIZON!

fishaholiclures
Master
Master

Post by fishaholiclures » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:02 pm

Hi Bazza,
Thanks for your info, it has confirmed some of my thoughts. Here are the ones I just got.
Tilsans.jpg
From in front
Tilsans side.jpg
from the side
(Note variances in Pectoral fin shapes and addition of lateral line and different gill printings)
Tilsan head close up halco.jpg
head on close up of the possible Halco made one
(Note differences in bib protrusion)
Tilsan head close up non halco.jpg
head on close up of the possible pre Halco ones (Note variances in Eye position and sizes)
Tilsans side close up.JPG
Close up of the sides (Note hook hanger differences)
the Aussie (green & gold) hangers and the White & pink one do protrude more than the chartreuse ones does.
Maybe I have a original Tilsan (Chart), an early Halco (W&P) and a later Halco (Aussie), I dont know but will welcome any feedback.

Brad
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I know what I know, the rest is simply details
acta non verba

Fizza

Post by Fizza » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:15 pm

fishaholiclures wrote:Hi Guys, Hoping some one can help witha query.
Cheers Brad
Brad, I'd be inclined to think these were all Halco lures. My opinion only.

The eye colours don't mean anything with actual "Tilsan" lures as they mixed & matched eyes in same model/different patterned lures.

If you have the time try and locate a lady by the name of Faye Zeuschner.

Faye featured in Freshwater Fishing Mag#1 fishing with Steve Starling at Lake Toolondo. The article was basically taken from the video they did together on the lake.

I'm led to believe that Faye & her hubby Milton were the original founders of Tilsan.

Craig
Master
Master

Post by Craig » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:17 pm

I feel while not necessarily Halco or Tilsan my older ones have yellow or white eyes. The fins and the eye colour match your idea. My Tilsan's that are retired are retired with dates, so if you can tell me when they changed hands it will help. Before you said anything I couldn't tell them apart, now they're all different. thumbsupsmilie
Tagged and Released

Fizza

Post by Fizza » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:00 pm

Craig the Halco site might tell you in their History dept. when the changeover/buyout occurred. I don't remember off the top of the head and would only be guessing. Maybe an email to them!

I've been saying for a long time, unlike a lot of yank lures which can be basically dated by eyes & even hooks {if original} many Ozzie lures can't.

This applies to RTB, Oar Gee, Custom Crafted, John Bennet, Huey's, Killalure, Seeker with the list being endless.

Hooks are the same. EG: I have various 100mm Oar Gee Prolines that apparantly don't exist, with different hooks that I got from Wayne back in the very early 90's all made at the same time.

With Tilsan for example, various patterns in the same model may have gills whilst others don't yet all made at the same time.

With so many inconsistancies it's so bloody hard to tell unless the original purchaser of the lure/s dated them at the time & moreso if purchased or obtained from the actual lure maker. Even then we can't expect makers to remember every lure carved or assembled.

I'm no expert by any means yet if I can see & point out differences then others can as you just have.

Anyone who says any different, taking into consideration the above is as far as I'm concerned talking through there censored oopssmilie & something to keep in mind.

I origionally purchased sets of lures when they were released & can't remember exact years. This is the only reason or way I know mine are all the same time frame. Other lures acquired since are a guess.

It's just too bloody difficult! -duh

That's why I said in one of my very 1st posts anyone trying to do a geneology of Ozzie lures was gonna have fun trying to work out what was what & when.

It now seems to be ringing true as collectors are now seeing all the little discrepancies with what was once thought nope to be same stuff crazysmilie

Craig
Master
Master

Post by Craig » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:12 pm

I wasn't going to say but I have an old one with no fish pattern on it. It's timber because it's cracked badly along the bottom.
Tagged and Released

Fizza

Post by Fizza » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:20 pm

Craig wrote:I wasn't going to say but I have an old one with no fish pattern on it. It's timber because it's cracked badly along the bottom.
If you look at the Tilsans I posted yonks ago they're all from the same time except one.

Some have gills, some don't. More don't than do. thumbsupsmilie

McGrath lures split down the guts also after a while which I think I posted along with a handful of old original patterns.

Return to “Tilsan Lures”