Bennett McGrath Lures

Bennett Lures
aussbasstony
Guru
Guru

Re: Bennett McGrath Lures

Post by aussbasstony » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:34 pm

Dave,

what is the value of those lures mate, as I had the chance to obtain a handfull but just took one very nice red colour to ask some one about but totaly forgot about it crazysmilie

Not the shallow one the other size bib varient !

Cheers Tony

Lure-Nut
Master
Master

Post by Lure-Nut » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:51 pm

Dave they are awesome lures .... I still have plenty of the originals, but Neb has this disease big time lol lol thumbsupsmilie time
Cheers Rob

neb
Expert
Expert

Post by neb » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:59 am

Someone mention BM's , nice, clapclap clapclap Nev

oldfish
Expert
Expert

Post by oldfish » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:33 pm

Wondering ??? ???

How does one tell the difference between a Bennett-McGrath compared to a McGrath?

Cheers,Jim

neb
Expert
Expert

Post by neb » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:30 pm

The writing on the bib is the surest way, the eyes are not reliable as I have Bennett McGrath lures with different eyes, I think they may change from batch to batch, the bib is the only way I can tell, some of the early paint work stands out also it appears the be duller than the later models..Nev

aussbasstony
Guru
Guru

Post by aussbasstony » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:37 pm

Dave,

the one I have looks the same as yours but dam they look like plastic -duh

They are made of Balsa and then do they coat them in another substance or is this just the paint that gives them that sharp edge look at the rear hook hanger ???

Cheers Tony

aussbasstony
Guru
Guru

Post by aussbasstony » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:27 pm

Dave,

this is the one I bought home to check out !

If you reckon there collectable I might go get the rest of them thumbsupsmilie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

oldfish
Expert
Expert

Post by oldfish » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:40 pm

Well I'm still wondering about some finer details (not criticizing any lures in any way)

The BM partnership only lasted a short time with McGrath making the lures and Bennett painting them (is that correct?)

So after the split did McGrath lures have writing in the bib IMMEDIATELY?
Was the paint job as good as previously?Colour range exactly the same? (Bennett famous for his quality finish)
Did the eyes move back immediately?

I saw Frank had a run of lures in progressive packets in a Tackle Rat column in FWF magazine so perhaps he or someone
else with a heap of packets could help.

Cheers,Jim

BigPauly
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by BigPauly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:59 pm

aussbasstony wrote:Dave,

what is the value of those lures mate,

Cheers Tony
Hi all I am also interested in the value of the old bennett mcgraths, deep and shallow. I would have asked Dave by pm but Im a newby lol.

neb
Expert
Expert

Post by neb » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:43 pm

Firstly in answer to Lauries questions, I have Bennett McGrath lures from when they first went commercial (and some prior) until now, in my eyes there was no discernable change in paintwork or eye location until Steve McGrath sold the business, and each change of owner after ,there was slight changes, hardly noticeable. If we could find out exact dates on changes of ownership and the full story on who did the paintwork then I could probably match lures to the owner at the time, but Bennett/McGrath lures are shrouded in mystery. The changes in lure patterns such as eye size, position are many I now class them only as Bennett/McGrath and McGrath lures until I can find more of their history. And to answer Big Pauly on the value, I cannot answer this as I have a vested interest, the only thing I can add is the Mcgrath Lure is still being made and sold for approx $17, original B & M lures are worth more....Nev

Return to “Bennett Lures”