McSea Downunders

Downunder / Predatek
Schultzy
Expert
Expert

McSea Downunders

Post by Schultzy » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:30 am

This is the Predatek colour scheme known as McSea. From top to bottom; 65mm Deep Boomerang, 80mm Medium Boomerang (with the old round bib), Woomera, Spoonbill and SandViper.
!McCristal.jpg
As most of you would know (I hope) McSea is the nickname of the legendary Vic McCristal, author, adventurer and one of the pioneers of lure fishing for many Aussie and PNG species.

During the eighties the Downunder team fished with Vic regularly who, after seeing how effective the Boomerangs were, used that lure extensively. At a time when tropical lure fishing largely centred around casting shallow running minnows to snags, Vic had extraordinary success with the deep running timber Boomerangs. He started regularly catching those lovely big fingermark by trolling Boomerangs through the deep holes in his favourite creeks. Boomerangs subsequently appeared in photographs in many of Vic’s magazine articles.

When Downunder Lures began pad printing the designs on their lures they asked Vic what his ideal colour scheme would look like. The result of that discussion was the McSea pattern which, as a mark of respect and recognition bears Vic’s signature.

The McSea scheme had nothing to do with trying to break into the impoundment barra market. Vic had retired from writing before the first Tinaroo barra was caught. The Predatek Vipers were indeed the lures that opened the floodgates in that fishery and subsequently many other barra lakes, because they are brilliantly effective. Not because of any words written about that particular lure by Vic, simply because he’d stopped writing prior to the release of the Vipers.

The McSea colour scheme pre-dates the release of the Viper by about three years and was first introduced in the Jindivik, then the Woomera.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops,
Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them

Image Image ImageImage

Schultzy
Expert
Expert

Re: McSea Downunders

Post by Schultzy » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:32 am

Close up.
!Mcsea.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Image Image ImageImage

Falky
Master
Master

Post by Falky » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:30 am

a great read Schultzy clapclap he certainly was a champion and what better way to get recognized as with his own colour scheme

Adam

Marrakai
Guru
Guru

Post by Marrakai » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:03 pm

A late post on this thread, apologies gentlemen, but I have a question: Was the Viper ever produced with the 'Vic McCristal' name on the back?
I have only seen Boomarangs and Woomeras personally, but have a soft-spot for the Viper due to past fishing success!
I note also that the Viper pictured in your post above doesn't have the yellow eyes of the 'labelled' McSea pattern.

Here's my surviving example, a Woomera still on the card just as I bought it years ago:
(I assume we never get tired of looking at lures...?)

Marrakai
Australia's Top End

Schultzy
Expert
Expert

Post by Schultzy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:49 am

Well spotted, what good eyesight you have!

The Vipers in McSea have never had Vic's signature printed on the back.

The signature was printed on the Boomerang in both sizes, Jindivic, Woomera and possibly the Bunyip as well.

The eyes on the Vipers have been silver since day one, instead of the yellow/gold of the McSea boomerangs.

Image Image ImageImage

Fizza

Post by Fizza » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:15 am

Neil,

Excuse my ignorance please but were the spoonbill & viper actual Mcsea lures/patterns?

They are missing the "lateral line" that the other three brandish.

fishaholiclures
Master
Master

Post by fishaholiclures » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:12 pm

Fizza Dave,
"THE QUITE ACHIEVER FROM THE BUSH"
what didn't you quite achieve mate???????????

Brad
I know what I know, the rest is simply details
acta non verba

lure crazy
Guru
Guru

Post by lure crazy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:05 pm

Thats the first time ive seen that particular packaging for those lures. Thats really clever, looks great and love the colour! thumbsupsmilie
Beginner or pro, doesent matter how good you are, fishings a gambling game. Put your lure in the right place at the right time and it will get smashed!
Image "CLICK THE BANNER FOR THE NEW WEBSITE"

Fizza

Post by Fizza » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:09 pm

lure crazy wrote:Thats the first time ive seen that particular packaging for those lures. Thats really clever, looks great and love the colour! thumbsupsmilie
Don't go coppyin it youngen smckin smckin smckin thumbsupsmilie lol lol

lure crazy
Guru
Guru

Post by lure crazy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:17 pm

lol lol lol Dont worry fizza, the last thing I want to do is grab someone elses idea. thumbsupsmilie
Beginner or pro, doesent matter how good you are, fishings a gambling game. Put your lure in the right place at the right time and it will get smashed!
Image "CLICK THE BANNER FOR THE NEW WEBSITE"

Return to “Downunder / Predatek”