Retrieves

anselmo
Expert
Expert
Location: Dublin, Ireland, was Bris-vegas www.themostabsoluteuselessbuggeraround.com

Retrieves

Post by anselmo » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:14 pm

Ok this is my understanding ...

There are several methods for retrieving a SP

1) slow roll - basically just cast and crank - slowly hence the name
2) burn and kill - let sink then fast retrieve for several winds then stop dead, repeat
3) hop - let sink to bottom and hop back (usually one, two or 3 vertical hops at a time with the rod)
4) shakey - let sink and wiggle rod tip without retrieving - good for worms and wacky rigs
5) jerk - let sink and 2 or 3 hard sideways jerks with the rod and retrieve slack (ever wonder why they are called JERK baits???)
6) jig - in a yak let sink vertically until on the bottom - jig up and down without retrieving (best on deep water and/or over structure)
7) flick - like the jerk but less vigorous (ever wonder why they are called FLICK baits???)
8) dead drift - in tide cast upstream and allow to drift down, can also combine with the above

Plus variations and combinations of the above

Different conditions, lures and target species will have different needs in your retrieve
experiment - thats the fun of it

The key is SLOW SLOW SLOW

Anyone else have anything to add to that?

Nick
Nick
aka "The Irreverent Angler"

Raison d'etre

Redback Tackle Solutions discount for lureandmore members. PM for details
My fishing t-shirts for sale

anselmo
Expert
Expert
Location: Dublin, Ireland, was Bris-vegas www.themostabsoluteuselessbuggeraround.com

Re: Retrieves

Post by anselmo » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:37 pm

ug54983,1253654679,tumbleweed2.gif
yeah baby
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nick

Raison d'etre

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:28 pm

you pretty well hit it on the head mate a lot of people have problems with plastics and give up.when i first started the scroungers were about the only plastics available and we would catch everything on them from bream to mulloway and even sharks.Now we have so many were spoilt for choice but on the other hand it makes retrieve a new experience with every one you tie on.You may not get many replies but im sure people are reading this and a great topic to bring up.
Slow is definately a must do unless you target natives down here i find a quick jerk retrieve a must to get them interested

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:29 pm

how are your moulds going mate anything new on the horizon ??? droolsmilie

WRAPPER
Rookie
Rookie

Post by WRAPPER » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:54 am

Hello , just wondering any pointers on best retrevel and set up for chasing cod and goldens in lakes and rivers ???
l've been tryn but with no success all l seem to catch is snags -duh
cheers wrapper

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:32 pm

for goldens and cod i use a improved texas rig stops snags and weed
2_mullys_texas_improved_rigging_001res.jpg
2_mullys_improved_texas_rig_003.jpg
2_mullys_improved_texas_rig_002.jpg

use whatever soft plastic you like but run it weedless and with weight if you want it to sink quicker or in current

anselmo
Expert
Expert

Post by anselmo » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:44 am

Mully wrote:how are your moulds going mate anything new on the horizon ??? droolsmilie
oh yeah
designing some new master blanks as we speak

got a better material to make the masters from so should be able to do some pretty amazing shapes
right up there with the professional level of stuff
very refined, accurate, sharp edges etc
none of the coarse rough stuff like before

Nick
Nick

Raison d'etre

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:55 pm

Nick you going to sell us some on here id be interested in seeing your wares and know a lot of others would also mate thumbsupsmilie

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:59 pm

Since their indroduction in Germany during the late 1970's plastic lures had ever been rigged onto leadheads , but during past years dropshot rigs became very popular , even the traditional American "Texas" and "Carolina" rigs are becoming more and more familiar over here , ............before leadheads were just jigged along the bottom for zander(European walleye) or paused and retrieved straight back in at any depth for pike .

About 10 years ago one popular angler from Hamburg named Jörg Strehlow promoted another method of retrieving a plastic shad rigged onto an "Erie"-jig , which he called "Faulenzer-Taktik" , translated it means about "lazybones-tactics" .

Target species is most likely the bottom located zander , naturally in bigger rivers like our local "Elbe" , ....won't work that well in many lakes , as there is often some kind of debris(leaves, branches , dead vegetation, etc....)on the bottom , .......in rivers these get washed away .

Retrieving your shad this way comes as simple as it is , ........just cast out and let the lure sink to bottom , .........holding the spinning rod in a constant 10 to 11'o'clock position upward one would now just move the lure with the cranking handle of the reel , the rod position remains the same all through the retrieve , .........this should be done very slow and with long pauses inbetween the cranking motions ,.......... just a few turns of the reel handle are enough , after let the lure stand still on bottom for up to 15 seconds(all depends on zander's striking behaviour ,..... if reluctant , go real slow , ...if they're quite greedy , one can go faster) .

Off course thin braid is essential , won't work out well with mono lines .

But in fact the motions of the lures would not be much different this way , as if fishing from a drifting boat just letting the lure slide along the bottom giving it occassional little twitches from the wrist .

greetz, diemai howdy
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:25 pm

as usual mate your replys are top notch we too here use a lot of drop shotting and ive converted to texas rigs with bullets for a while now for big fish.So versitile and with so many options to buy possibility's seem endless.I have run them unweighted,with jigheads,bullet heads splitshots further up front to angle the swim and drop eg unweighted resin head with a 3 gram splitshot 1 foot up my leaderworks very well..Also adding a indicator like the fly fishers do in replaement of the splitshot works for trout.Soft plastics are awesome and mark my words with the technology around its only a matter of time until we collect them also i have several eeels from bill norman i nboxs and also his craws soft plastics.I know they work and they look great the new ones work just as well so for my collection the originals will be preserved.

Still wanna see What Nick has been up to

Return to “SOFT PLASTIC FISHING LURES GENERAL DISCUSSIONS”