Fishing in Thailand June 2013

Rellik-doc-rob
Guru
Guru

Fishing in Thailand June 2013

Post by Rellik-doc-rob » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:24 pm

Just back from 4 weeks fishing all over mainland Thailand.....

After nearly 20 trips to Thailand over the past 4-5 years , mainly Scuba-diving and a bit of fishing off-shore , I decided to put some effort into the fresh-water side of Thai fishing.

I put a bucket list of species together , flew into Bangkok..... then onto Chaing Mai . From there , with a rod tube ( 2 barra rods & 2 Calcutta 250's )..., a backpak , a 125cc hired motor bike ( scooter ) , some rough maps and my internet research notes , rode a total of 2,600 km's in 4 weeks.

Met some of the nicest people & made some great contacts for future trips. All the fish were caught on 6kg line and the barra gear mentioned earlier.

My bucket list was completed , all but 1 species , I missed out on my Snake-head fish.

Bucket list was.... Mekong catfish , Aligator-gar , Pacu , Spotted-feather tail , Sth American red-tail , Siamese carp , Arapaima & Snake-head. The following is a list of some of the biggest of each species I caught , plus a few unexpected and some photo's.

Mekong Catfish....161cm 42kg , 156cm 36kg , 144cm 31kg
Aligator-gar .......109cm 11.2kg
Pacu...5.3kg
Spotted Feather-tail 62cm
Indian Rahu carp 3.4kg
Giant Siamese carp 13.8kg
Asian red-tail catfish....81cm
Sth American redtail 14.5kg & 10kg
Arapaima...197cm 68kg , 141cm 39kg , 113cm 16kg . These fish were the highlight of the trip. Great fighters , and spectacular looking. Will be heading back to target again.

Any body ever contemplated going to Thailand to catch these exotics should really make it a priority , great people , great food and great experience. If I can be of any help with contacts or locations ..... dont hesitate to ask. Or maybe I will act as your guide ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Rellik-doc-rob on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rellik-Doc-Rob...

The Harder I work, the luckier I get...

Rellik-doc-rob
Guru
Guru

Re: Fishing in Thailand June 2013

Post by Rellik-doc-rob » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:29 pm

Some more....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rellik-Doc-Rob...

Rellik-doc-rob
Guru
Guru

Post by Rellik-doc-rob » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:35 pm

A few more...
Rellik-Doc-Rob...

Rellik-doc-rob
Guru
Guru

Post by Rellik-doc-rob » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:38 pm

A couple more...
Rellik-Doc-Rob...

vince.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by vince. » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:13 am

Rob,
It must have been a real struggle trying to enjoy yourself.

Great people, great food, great fishing, must have made it difficult lol lol

It`s good to see some pics thumbsupsmilie
Regards.....Vince.

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:58 pm

Are your arms not sore now lol ?

Looks like an anglers paradise , ...thanks for letting us participate a bit , .......cheers , 61diemai howdy
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

Lure-Nut
Master
Master

Post by Lure-Nut » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:50 am

Amazing post, I'm surprised by the size of the fish and how they have sustained that size in such a heavily populated country - do the locals not fish for them, are they edible ?

Rob, how remote were the areas you were fishing ???
Cheers Rob

ocd1688
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ocd1688 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:09 pm

Need a deckhand ??? Rob ???

Albert

Rellik-doc-rob
Guru
Guru

Post by Rellik-doc-rob » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:59 pm

Lure-Nut wrote:Amazing post, I'm surprised by the size of the fish and how they have sustained that size in such a heavily populated country - do the locals not fish for them, are they edible ?

Rob, how remote were the areas you were fishing ???
G'day Rob ,

Remote enough to need some local knowledge and a bit of extra guidance when trying to do it all by maps. GPS a waste of time. All the fish were edible ( I have been told ) and the Pacu is the most sort after. ( once again..... I have been told ) . We only ate 2 fish for the whole trip , both were small Tallapia .... not sure about the spelling on that one. Both of those fish were about 1.5 kg each. The absolute easiest fish I have ever scale , cooked by a Thai freind of mine. Not sure if it is a great fish to eat or not , but my freind turned it into a very succullent "Tom yum Goong " ( goong is seafood in Thai ).

Caught almost 200 fish during the trip and learnt heaps about how to get those local fish. Will be much wiser for the next trip , and if luck is on my side , I would think that it would be possible to land more and bigger fish next time.

Albert , I could not think of a better decky mate. You better organise some time off for late October... early November. I will be buying my ticket for the return trip in the next week or so for that time. I have be advised that Oct/Nov is much better seasonal time for fishing in the areas I was. So I will be taking notice of that advise. You are and will be a very welcome companion.

By the way Rob , the locals do like their fishing , however the need to work 7 days a week to survive allows little spare time to go fishing. I have only found 6 tackle shops outside of Bangkok in my 20 odd trips to Thailand , and the locals I have come across that do fish .... have very basic equipment. But they are very smart and adaptable with that equipment.

RDR
Rellik-Doc-Rob...

Lefty.
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lefty. » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:06 pm

Hey Rod

Thanks for sharing looks like a great trip with some unusual and exotic species.

Guess you had a ball if your already planning the next trip.

Cheers Jas

Return to “FRESHWATER HARDBODY LURES YOUR CATCHES Fishing pictures”