Leuciscus cephalus

Djurdjevic
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Leuciscus cephalus

Post by Djurdjevic » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:19 pm

I finally found a proper subject on which I want to tell a little about my beginner skills :)

Recently, I started to fish with lures. The reason for my dissatisfaction with fishing as a sport I have just found in the "boring" fishing with a float. And the suggestion of a friend, who is a professional fishing with lures, has caused me to try one of the lures from his collection uglyduckling.

We went to a nearby river Lim middle of May, and all we took were his collection of rods and lures adventure .... slowly began ...

After a few failed attempts to catch anything, and location change , I randomly chose ugljduckling lure with a red head and white belly and the rest of the body. I threw him with a fishing rod under a willow. The result was a bite of fish so-called here in our region, "klen". I searched a bit online and found that the Latin name for the fish, "Leuciscus cephalus." Left a huge impression on me, and this spring I definitely moving in fishing with lures.

P.S. excuse me on my not so experienced knowledge of English, I tried only one of his great joy to share with you. I think the pictures that I will upload in future could say much more than words.

here is the pics of what I used:

I took this models pics from the: http://www.uglyducklingwobbler.de

And this is what I got:

diemai
Master
Master

Re: Leuciscus cephalus

Post by diemai » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:01 pm

@ Djurdjevic

Dobar dan , mate , ....welcome on LureAndMore thumbsupsmilie !

This species is called "chub" in english , ...real nice one you've got there , congrats , .......I've never caught one on a lure up here northern Germany , only on bread or maggots .

I'm with you concerning float fishing , way too boring , ......after local predator closing time is through by May 1st , I cast lures exclusively until season ends December 31st .

Have lots of fun in here , .......greetz , diemai howdy
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

DalbyKayakin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DalbyKayakin » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:07 pm

That looks very similar to the European Carp we catch here. Never on lures but

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:56 pm

DalbyKayakin wrote:That looks very similar to the European Carp we catch here. Never on lures but

We have quite a few species over here in Europe all looking more or less similar , an unexperienced angler can even be easily confused with some particular ones , that much is their alikeness , .........they all belong to the carp family , anyway , ........we call this group of silvery scaled species "whitefish" , ........considered to be of minor quality for human forage , but most still edible , though .

Apart from two or three exeptions they are all non-predatory fish .

http://www.scandfish.com/gfx/clpost_fre ... _large.jpg

Sorry , could not find a larger picture bowsmilie !

greetz , Dieter howdy

fishaholic5
In The Tade
In The Tade

Post by fishaholic5 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:13 am

Nice fish thumbsupsmilie , I can still remember the excitement of the first fish I ever caught on a lure yay
Carp can be targeted successfully on small lures, these are some pic's of fish caught by my brother from the Hunter River in NSW
IMG_2334.JPG
IMG_2363.JPG
IMG_2467.JPG
These were caught sight casting to fish in clear water and allowing some slack line for the lure to be sucked in by the fish as it opened its mouth. Lures with a close to nuetral bouyancy have worked the best and it can be quite a challenge to get the timing of the drop back right. We usually only get one or two shots at each fish before it wises up so accurate casting is important.

Hope this helps you, I don't know much about the other species in your country. Good luck with your Luring

Cheers
Wal
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Illusion Lures

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:13 pm

@ fishaholic5

Thanks a lot for your input and hints , mate , .......nice catches of your brother there thumbsupsmilie !

But over here in Europe things are a bit different , .......carp can't be caught on lures intentionally like over there in Australia .

Please check out this thread , especially on page 2 it turned rather into a little lesson about carp fishing , as the thread starter also questioned about European carping , ...so I wrote him some explanations real off topic lol !

http://www.lureandmore.com/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=8795

greetz , Dieter howdy

fishaholic5
In The Tade
In The Tade

Post by fishaholic5 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:46 pm

You never know Deiter, people here also think they don't take lures and don't take the time to try real hard to work it out as they are considered a 'rubbish' fish here. it is also possible to target other 'non lure taking' species such as our Luderick( a weed eater) and mullet on lures. It really just depends on how much time and effort you are prepared to spend working it out

Cheers
Wal
Illusion Lures

DalbyKayakin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DalbyKayakin » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:44 pm

Where as someone like me who mainly trolls diving lures only end up with dirty old yellowbelly and murray cod instead of carp

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:50 pm

DalbyKayakin wrote:Where as someone like me who mainly trolls diving lures only end up with dirty old yellowbelly and murray cod instead of carp
lol lol lol !

@ fishaholic5

Undoubtely carp do take lures on very rare occassions , but fellow fishermen would surely call me a complete nut , if I where saying , I was fishing for carp casting a little 3 cms crankbait lol !

I guess , that in Australia carp are more likely to take lures , as they are obviously a real pest and in a murderous competition against one another for their daily forage , so they take what they get , ..........in Europe this is not the case , ........alone that the longer part of the year temperatures are below the ideal for carp , so their metabolism is also slowed down , also they don't reproduce that well over here , at least compared to warmer Australia .

But because their sheer numbers are smaller over here , there is no such forage competition taking place and single individuals have the chance to grow bigger compared to Down Under , ........but also are not forced to take livebait(thus lures) .

The only members of the carp family frequently taking smaller lures are asp , chub and ide(and nobody would laugh at you seeing you cating small spinners or crankbaits for them lol ) .

A trophy asp :

http://www.wefish.de/files/images/fishi ... rapfen.jpg

A trophy chub :

http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=http ... g&dur=3136

A trophy ide :

http://www.asv-nidda.de/photogallery/ph ... 20Axel.JPG

(Pictures taken from the internet , no personal connection)

These three species can be fished at with lures , all other local members of the carp family striking lures on rare occassions must be considered to be purely accidential .

Cheers , Dieter howdy

Return to “FRESHWATER HARDBODY LURES YOUR CATCHES Fishing pictures”