Witting on poppers

Capt.Seaweed
Guru
Guru

Re: Witting on poppers

Post by Capt.Seaweed » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:08 pm

Guys,
You're giving me ideas with all this whiting on Poppers talk, just down the road from my place is Buffalo Creek and the flats at low tide are lousy with whiting.
Trouble is they're all tiddlers not like the pictures I'm seeing in this thread. Remember from my NSW past they were tasty fish, but the SA KG version are definitely IMHO the best eating fish in Oz.
Anyway I'm visiting my dear old mum in Coffs next week, so I'm heading into MO tackle to grap some of these Poppers to try out, what size do you blokes think I'll need? Bearing in mind ours are on the small side, and it gets windy down Buff Ck. on the flats.
Any advice appreciated, think I have an old bream rod and Diawa spinning reel somewhere that hasn't seen water for over 25yrs. Don't suppose I'd need anything larger than 2kg line would you suggest?
Regards, Tony (Wulagi, NT).
"Always merry and bright"

simon bruce
Master
Master

Post by simon bruce » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:12 pm

Different hazards to worry about wading the flats for whiting in the top end too.

Down south the lizards that people worry about when whiting poppering are flathead that take the lure, the lizards up your way take the whole angler.

If you read through the post there are some good suggestions for poppers to try, anything small and clear is a good start. Smll stickbait styles semm to work and should also turn up some small gts and queenies in the shallow stuff.

fishaholiclures
Master
Master

Post by fishaholiclures » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:42 am

Tony,
Have a chat to Nathan @ MO, he knows a few things about small poppers thumbsupsmilie
My suggestions...anything slender and max 50mm long, clear or prawn colours..
Yamashita(Maria lures), Bassday, Lucky Craft, Evergreen, Smith & Tiemco all have something to suit.
Also consider some tiny pencil style lures and walk the dog with little rod tip flicks...
Most of the above makers have something in that line.

Cheers Brad
I know what I know, the rest is simply details
acta non verba

Capt.Seaweed
Guru
Guru

Post by Capt.Seaweed » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:25 pm

Thanks Guys, thumbsupsmilie
I'll have a talk to Nathan, still wondering if I can summon the effort to walk the shallows, having to keep an eye out for snapping handbags, you need eyes in the back of your head out there.
Does sound like fun though, never dreamed whiting would attack a popper, in my NSW youth we used to catch em on pumped pink nippers.
Any whiting we get in the cast-net up here go straight back wearing a hook, as a live bait.

fishaholiclures
Master
Master

Post by fishaholiclures » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:32 pm

Tony,
hey it's the Territory..take your best mates...SMITH & WESSON lol lol lol

Brad
I know what I know, the rest is simply details
acta non verba

Capt.Seaweed
Guru
Guru

Post by Capt.Seaweed » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:37 am

Brad,
In my early days up here, I used to fish with a bloke who always took a 45 pistol in the boat, especially in the big rivers.
He wasn't afraid to use it either, he went on to become a well-known guide, said he could now justify carrying it to protect his clients. lol

Return to “SURFACE LURES TOPWATER LURES POPPERS ETC”