ComboClector

Lure-Nut
Master
Master

ComboClector

Post by Lure-Nut » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:39 pm

Cleaning out the garage on Fathers Day and found one of my downrigging gizmos that I used to use in the big impoundments for trout lol thumbsupsmilie

It a Lake Systems ComboClector which by the use of a deep probe measured the following:

1. PH levels
2. Temperature
3. Preferred Lure Colour in either Clear, Stained or Muddy water.

Basically it could be lowered to the bottom of the dam then brought back up vertically to identify temperature breaks or thermaclines then gave you the best colour lure to be used at that particular depth thumbsupsmilie

Alternatively just pick up the thermacline off your sounder then lower the probe, get a colour reading then set the downrigger to the right depth with the preferred colour lure .... easy lol lol crazysmilie

Now from memory there was a whole lot of science that went into the colour settings on the face and honestly I followed it's instructions for years to great effect on the deep impoundments .... must go back and see if I can find out any information on how it all came into being yay yay
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers Rob

fishaholiclures
Master
Master

Re: ComboClector

Post by fishaholiclures » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:39 pm

Rob, nice piece of kit mate, The C lector technology was way ahead of it's time and was regarded so seriously that the majority of lure makers in the US and even some OZ makers, provided lures coloured specifically for use alongside the C Lector.

Cheers Brad
I know what I know, the rest is simply details
acta non verba

rivermandave

Post by rivermandave » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:29 am

At the same time...there was a serious article / discussion with Loren Hill in InFisherman in the 25th anniversary edition of the In Fisherman magazine concerning calibration problems on these devices. Also, the inventor (Dr Loren Hill) is Kenyon Hill's father. He passed away in July 2008.

Here's a discussion about using it I ran across...

http://www.wmi.org/bassfish/bassboard/f ... _id=300416

I also found this on the 'Net crazysmilie

Back in the 1980s, Loren Hill, the former director of the University of Oklahoma's Zoology Department and Biological Research Center, spent years researching what colors fish could see. Ultimately, Hill came up with a range of 26 colors that fish could see in different degrees of water clarity and light penetration. And in the late 1980s he and Lake Systems Division created a device for fishermen called the Color-C-Lector. In addition, they developed a model that included a pH meter and thermometer, which was named the Combo-C-Lector and sold for $100 in the 1989 Bass Pro Shops catalog.

Even though the Combo-C-Lector was lauded by such notable and talented fishermen as Bill Dance, of Memphis, and Guido Hibdon, Gravois Mills, Mo., it didn't catch the fancy of a significant numbers of anglers, and by 1998 it was no longer featured in the Bass Pro Shop's catalog.

Lure-Nut
Master
Master

Post by Lure-Nut » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:29 am

Dave ... great info, thanks - must say I never really worked out whether it was a psychological thing or not .... but I reckon it works lol lol thumbsupsmilie

You've gotta wonder how he did his research - wonder if that info is out there somewhere ???
Cheers Rob

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:28 pm

dont know if you remember but there was and still is the green light a fluro tube basically sealed and placed under water it has been quoted as attracting and thus catching many more fish.I know its awesome for catching live bait and works well but the high end versions are said to actually be able to attract big game and all sorts. colour combo's and refractions in different ph water and also clarity was well documented by a few scientists scales are available and a refraction table is also available depending on depth and water quality it will simply state which colour at what depth will be seen the best hence supposedly making the fish see your lure better.

MEASURING LIGHT TRANSMISSION

Scientists have developed several different methods and instruments to measure light transmission in water. The simplest measurement method involves the use of the Secchi disk, a white plate about 30 centimeters (12 inches) in diameter. It is fastened horizontally to a rope marked in meters. The disk is then lowered into the sea, lake, or other waterbody. The depth at which the disk is lost to sight is noted using the rope markings. This provides a rough estimate of the depth of light penetration.

A more sophisticated device for measuring light transmission is the nephelometer, which measures the scattering of incident (incoming) light by particles in the water. The optical backscatter meter and light scattering meter work in a similar fashion by projecting a light beam into the water. A detector on the instrument measures the amount of light that is scattered back into it.

The transmissometer measures light attenuation, or the sum of scattering and absorption of light in sea water. It projects a beam of light of a known wavelength over a known distance, and the data may be used to calculate the percentage of light that is transmitted at a certain depth.

The a-c meter has separate sensors to detect absorption of light by particles and total light attenuation. It functions in a manner like that of a transmissometer.

Read more: Light Transmission in the Ocean - river, sea, depth, oceans, percentage, important, plants, source, marine http://www.waterencyclopedia.com/La-Mi/ ... z14kvy4kdR

it does work and as mentioned fish do see or can identify 20 plus colours so i go's to say make it more visible and you increase your chance of capture.

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:31 pm

welll that was my brainstorm for the avo i remember doing a paper on it back at college its a amazing study

http://www.thecephalopodpage.org/cephsc ... antity.pdf this is also a top referance

Capt.Seaweed
Guru
Guru

Post by Capt.Seaweed » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:50 pm

Read somewhere that the colour 'red', is the last to disappear with regards to depth, and then all colours appear as monochrome.
Don't know how they figured this would relate to fish, because this experiment was for human sight, I thought all fish could only see in black and white hues.
Which really brings home the truth, that colours are really about attracting fishermen. The different shades of monochrome maybe a factor however.
Very interesting subject, thanks Dave and Mully.
Regards, Tony (Darwin, NT).
"Always merry and bright"

Lure-Nut
Master
Master

Post by Lure-Nut » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:22 am

Once upon a time I had a book on Downrigging the US lakes which went into enormous details about colour fishing and visibility .... now I've forgotten who I lent it to, but it covered this topic in detail -duh -duh crazysmilie
Cheers Rob

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:37 am

lightinwater.gif

rivermandave

Post by rivermandave » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:15 am

Some great reading you posted Mully! bowsmilie

I wish you had a bigger clear version of that last graph though smckin

Check this stuff out...

Mepp's color article...

http://www.mepps.com/fishing-article/co ... you-get/77

Book reviews about a book written by the gentleman that provided initial research to Mepp's...

http://www.amazon.com/What-Fish-See-Und ... 1571881409

Another decent article...

http://www.fishinfo.com/fishing-article ... _432.shtml

Some thoughts I read at Mepp's...

For example, in warm, turbid water, a gold blade and a black decal with fluorescent chartreuse dots shows up best. In cool water and sunny conditions, a black blade and a fluorescent chartreuse decal with black dots is recommended.
Lure-Nut wrote:Dave ... great info, thanks - must say I never really worked out whether it was a psychological thing or not .... but I reckon it works lol lol thumbsupsmilie

You've gotta wonder how he did his research - wonder if that info is out there somewhere ???

@ Rob...I'm sure if you did a search for "Dr. Loren Hill" on Google you should be able to find bits of it. What was weird about the device...as mentioned in the In-Fisherman article...was that some fisher-folks found it to be "dead-on"....while others had NO success with it.

Chances are...some folks didn't read or follow instructions (a thing with many dudes for sure)...or there were calibration problems as mentioned in the IF article / discussion.

Maybe we should move this topic to somewhere about basic fishing info ???

Return to “FISHING LURE AND TACKLE TIPS AND TRICKS”