Making your own lure's

Damo

Post by Damo » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:53 am

Yeah that's a good idea Bloodworms easy to rig up too.. We used to dry matching plates when sprayed at work over a 100 watt globe so that mounted in a wooden box would also work, just have a little swing latch door at the front..

bloodworms
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by bloodworms » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:54 pm

Damo like I said I dont make my own HB's but if I did & paint drying was an issue I recon I'd get pee'd off having to re do them.

Drying lamps are another option, saw those infa reds recently [dear as hell] @ a mates paint shop they're supposed to dry the paint from inside out opposed to the heat lamps which dry the outside 1st.

If anyone is thinking about making a mini oven look up in the yellow pages coolroom panel manufacturer's if any in your area pop in & ask if you can have any scrap pieces they'll be happy you're taking them away & should not charge you.

40 mm x 40 mm x 1.2 mm alluminiun angle a few pop rivets & there's your drying chamber.

Element ? cost you around $40 but if you come across an electric hot water system just grab element out of it.

Thermostat ?? around $40 again

Bear in mind I may out of touch with prices these days

But if anyone wants a ready made oven for drying keep your eyes open in say the trading post for any old pie wamers they'd be ideal most are only 10 ampers but even if you come across a 15 amp one just change the plug over.

Set the thermostat to desired temp & Bobs your uncle

Dan
Guru
Guru

Post by Dan » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:54 am

Hey Nathan, this is what i used for the patterns.

Nathan
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Nathan » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:00 pm

about the drying booths

have you thaught about bird boxes

when i use to work in a pet store you could get boxes to keep baby birds / young animals warm

maybee that would work ??

Damo

Post by Damo » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:37 pm

Nathan you just have to think about the size of the lure and what your working with nothing worse than tring to fiddle around stuff...A wooden box would be fine just line it with aluminium foil...The thing with 2 pac is that the drying process is a chemical reaction just like areldite etc you can dry it outside but the mini booth would keep the dust off and harden the paint quicker because of the warmth.. Damo

Dan
Guru
Guru

Post by Dan » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:13 am

I started making this lure a few days ago, it should dive pretty deep. Hope it works.

Dan
Guru
Guru

Post by Dan » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:15 am

Has anyone else been working on anything new? Put up some pics if you have thumbsupsmilie

Station49
Guru
Guru

Post by Station49 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:24 am

That looks great so far Dan! bowsmilie

and Nah mate.... havent got the skills...
Macca

Shortlite
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Re: Making your own lure's

Post by Shortlite » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:16 am

Asked this in Tips and Tricks, but thought I'd throw it on here too. What wood are you crafters using for your crankbaits/plugs?
Also need a source for 1 mm Lexan and Perspex (for testing).

Cheers,
Shortlite (Ted)

Falky
Master
Master

Re: Making your own lure's

Post by Falky » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:51 pm

nice one Dan thumbsupsmilie how long is it?(lure that is) lol

started these a while ago. do little things at a time to make them (when I find any spare time) i've tried this time using aluminium bibs which are screwed in crazysmilie the stuff was a cheap off cut and plus thats what lures used to be made of thumbsupsmilie they swim pretty good down at the local creek, so they are now slowly getting painted freezesmilie the wood im using is cedar thumbsupsmilie
P6030005.jpg
the bigger one on the right hand side isn't completed yet. that will probably be another couple of months -duh

Adam
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “FISHING LURE AND TACKLE TIPS AND TRICKS”