Making your own lure's

Nathan
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Nathan » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:27 pm

Dan do you cover your lures in lace / paper doileys then spray them ???

Dan
Guru
Guru

Post by Dan » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:23 pm

Nah, i found a cheap stencil of some sort of plant or vine or something. Looks different, might have to get some different ones. I'll take a picture of it later and show ya.

chuckabugatem
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by chuckabugatem » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:54 pm

Strewth Dan shockedsmilie

Look at the duco on that thing droolsmilie

Looks like the Ferari of the fishing world lol lol

Bib looks familiar susssmilie

Hope it swims well for ya mate, top job thumbsupsmilie

JD
I live with fear, but sometimes she lets me go fishing !

bloodworms
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by bloodworms » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:18 pm

Reading through I noticed a couple of you guys were having a wee bit of prob with paints/finish's.

Your metalics are an acylic based paint & look pretty dull till the clear is applied no different to a paint job on a car.

I dont make HB's think it's more than a hobby but I do know how to spray paint, even if you guys dont have a compressor or spraygun [air brush is ideal] you can still use spray cans but if you's want a micky mouse ridgy didge finish ????

Suggest you use a 2 pack clear no need to spray on if you haven't got the gear it can be brushed on.

Good thing about the 2 pac is it wont yellow like some of the epoxy's or estapols, only prob is once you've mixed it it will go off, but you can get a 2nd coat of of a mix by putting what hasn't been used in the refrigerator till the 1st coat tacks off.

Like I said I dont make HB's but I do make my own trolling lures a wee bit different to whats in this thread some are moulded off the originals others I play around with & if I like the action then I'll make a mould for them.

Dusky_Chaser
Expert
Expert

Post by Dusky_Chaser » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:26 pm

Hey bloodworms they look pretty good. Can't say I do alot of offshore fishing myself due to the -vomit factor, but they sure look the goods thumbsupsmilie

Damo

Post by Damo » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:17 pm

They look very nice indeed Dan well done!! thumbsupsmilie Hows the prototype Poddy's coming along? droolsmilie

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:24 pm

Problem isn't the ability to paint rather the weather is mucking about our drying process and we a trialling new paints so its expected....
We use auto paints extensively and or water based depending on the finish we want problem is 1 manufacturer doesn't make every color we want so we have to test their compatibility with each other sometimes with devastating results.
I am a spray painter by trade, airbrushing is too expensive and wasteful not to mention clean up times etc we want a quick process that still gives a neat finish we will eventually find out exactly what mixes with what with all our mess ups as even some acrylic based paints don't mix well ie a pattern coat will mess up the underlying color also.
So what we do is whine and keep on plodding along until we get it right [me and Dan] lol lol lol

Good thing is we learn new things every time we make a new lure... yay yay

Nathan
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Nathan » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:35 pm

Ive painted my lures with nail polish & glitter

The thing i liked is that you can usaly pick up any colour you want

I ve had some strange looks diving in a bargain bin full of nail polish in pharmacys before

Damo

Post by Damo » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:47 pm

Funny you mention your a spray painter Mully so am i but i have lost passion for it i need to get out of the trade..Airbrushing for final touches ie:eyes, stripes would be fine...

bloodworms
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by bloodworms » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:21 pm

mully wrote:Problem isn't the ability to paint rather the weather is mucking about our drying process and we a trialling new paints so its expected....
We use auto paints extensively and or water based depending on the finish we want problem is 1 manufacturer doesn't make every color we want so we have to test their compatibility with each other sometimes with devastating results.
I am a spray painter by trade, airbrushing is too expensive and wasteful not to mention clean up times etc we want a quick process that still gives a neat finish we will eventually find out exactly what mixes with what with all our mess ups as even some acrylic based paints don't mix well ie a pattern coat will mess up the underlying color also.
So what we do is whine and keep on plodding along until we get it right [me and Dan] lol lol lol

Good thing is we learn new things every time we make a new lure... yay yay
Cleaning up is a pain in the butt

Then again it all depends how fussy you want to be with the finish

As you know you can experiment & mix your own colours again how fussy do you want to be & beats the hell out of running around trying to find the colour that you want + these days petrol is dearer than paint lol

Drying ?????????????

Thats an easy solve, you dont need a spray booth, just a small drying chamber to place the lures in after they've been painted.

An electric element rigged to a thermostat & you can regulate temp inside drying chamber + it gets rid of any humidity

Return to “FISHING LURE AND TACKLE TIPS AND TRICKS”