Lure Storage for Investment !!!

Lure-Nut
Master
Master

Lure Storage for Investment !!!

Post by Lure-Nut » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:54 pm

Does anyone have any tips on storing older wooden lures to protect the 'Investment' .... I've got a few that are starting to crack up. Is it the heat, lack of humidity, does the wood dry out and start to move and the paint just follows -duh

Now is this is gunna sound really stupid and I'll apologise in advance, but would it help if the 'big bucks' lures were stored in a temperature and humidity controlled environment such as a wine fridge. OK, so I've left myself open, so go for it .... but I not so sure it's that stupid and has got me thinking, if not drinking to empty it lol lol lol

Cheers

Rob
Cheers Rob

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Re: Lure Storage for Investment !!!

Post by Mully » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:14 pm

a temperature controlled environment will keep them better as the wood shrinks and expands due to temperature causing the paint to follow suit.Problem is many other factors could cause paint to crack also like mentioned moisture in the wood leeching out shrinkage of the paint all sorts but if i was storing them id go no light basement sealed containers with those moisture bags in side that soak up moisture similar to the ones in vitamin packs and tablet packets [silica gel] Fridge might be too cold and shrink the paint and wood too much when they are brought out the will return to size and cause paint crack also.
You need a lure cellar mate [hmmm could be a new market] or lure fridge set to 21c

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:18 pm

A few tips for the better collections

Carry with you a small pocket Uv light and a 10x magnifying loop on you at all times. This will help in identifying "repaints" and cracks and flakes which help grade the fishing lure. If you learn one thing then this is it, learn to identify original authentic paint jobs.

With that said here are a few pointers in keeping and maintaining your collections once you start.

* Store the antique fishing lures in an area away from strong natural or artificial light. This light will affect the quality of the painted surface over time, reducing the value of the piece.

* Put the fishing lures in a humidity-controlled area to prevent foxing and rust. Maintain a good airflow around the lures and keep the humidity around 70 percent.

* Keep your collection safe store them locked in a fire-proof safe for protection from fire and theft.

* Insects can be a real problem with boxes. Store them carefully and do not use commercial insecticides any where near your old fishing lures and boxes. In fact do not store your collection near any chemicals period. You don't want to risk a chance spill.

Lure-Nut
Master
Master

Post by Lure-Nut » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:24 pm

Mully wrote:
* Store the antique fishing lures in an area away from strong natural or artificial light. This light will affect the quality of the painted surface over time, reducing the value of the piece.

* Put the fishing lures in a humidity-controlled area to prevent foxing and rust. Maintain a good airflow around the lures and keep the humidity around 70 percent.

* Keep your collection safe store them locked in a fire-proof safe for protection from fire and theft.
Mully, excellent advice .... sounds like your storing a good red above, I'm still thinking of the wine fridge - meets all the above criteria, just need to see if it'll stays stable at 21 deg c thumbsupsmilie thumbsupsmilie thumbsupsmilie

Cheers

Rob
Cheers Rob

MR_T
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MR_T » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:32 pm

i know a fella that stores his lures with his cigars - apparently the cigar humidors do an excellent job

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:21 am

now thats a good idea your a legend mate perfect thumbsupsmilie

barra king
Rookie
Rookie

Post by barra king » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:04 am

Come live up here in the far north..Humidity is constant at 70 to 95% year round..Ideal for anything with paint on it due to moisture content in the air.....thumbsupsmilie

hazmail
Expert
Expert

Post by hazmail » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:39 pm

I know this sounds stupid (and probably is), but these new wine fridges that have been popping up for the last couple of years might be a good option, where temp and humidity can be kept kept at a constant (you select the temp) might look after a heap of lures- we could just hang them on the racks- as for the UV, just spray the door glass black. Just a thought, I don't have that many myself .pete

barra king
Rookie
Rookie

Post by barra king » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:44 pm

Not stupid at all.I know a stamp collector who does this..Believe it or not...

Lure-Nut
Master
Master

Post by Lure-Nut » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:18 am

Not feeling so stupid after all lol lol lol
Cheers Rob

Return to “FISHING LURE AND TACKLE TIPS AND TRICKS”