What wood?

Dusky_Chaser
Expert
Expert

Re: What wood?

Post by Dusky_Chaser » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:07 am

That looks great mate. The bib looks strangly similar to one of mullys fingernails. Only cleaner lol

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:07 pm

When ya paint/stain/glue/sand your hands let alone fingernails look terrible nahnah nahnah nahnah

justonemorecast
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by justonemorecast » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:07 pm

OLDMAN wrote:A new timber that was (I think) being used by Paul Kneller is , sorry but cant spell it
but it sounds like jelutong. (fine grained and waterproof I think)
Laurie
Jelutong is a nice carving timber, I think some of the early Deceptions were done in this. There are heaps of others, Quite a few guys use Western Red Cedar, Aussie Red cedar is great if you have the money. Beech is nice to work with too.
Like the "one prepared earlier". How are you painting them?? ???

Al"

BASSIN
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by BASSIN » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:15 pm

Jeluton,
wonderfull stuff zippedsmilie zippedsmilie zippedsmilie
i used this stuff for many years before i stopped making lures,
when you turn the stuff on a lathe you have to use a very sharp tool as its very soft and tends to rip little tiny holes, so it take a bit of filling if you dont sand through the tiny little rip zippedsmilie
but carving is a differant matter great stuff to work with, this stuff is one of the reason i gave up luremaking till now
i have got the scar's all up my arms to prove it, bloody timber allergy's crazysmilie

This stuff soaks up water like a spunge, when i made proto's i used to give them a quick dip in dope, when left in water without this treatment it felt like a brick!
allso if using screweyes you must use 24hour araldite to glue them in place being a soft timber
Cheers Mick

IF IT'S NOT A JIG-A-JIG IT'S NOT A LURE......LOL

jimmy34
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by jimmy34 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:36 pm

Gday Shortlite
Tassie has some nice attractive timber species suitable for lures, Huon pine (very water resistant, easy to carve etc), sassafras and myrtle.

I can get you some of this. I also have european white beach and Australian red cedar that are arguably the best timbers for the purpose. I have sent some to other members on this site a mixture of different species cut into carving blanks), if you want to discuss send me a pm. Cheers from James.

Return to “FISHING LURE AND TACKLE TIPS AND TRICKS”