What wood?

Shortlite
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

What wood?

Post by Shortlite » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:46 pm

This one for the lure makers.

I have been making a few UL plugs for a little bit now, and have used up my stockpile of an African hardwood I stumbled across in Ethiopia. I have no idea what wood here would be close. It had a nice tight grain, was hard, but carved quite well, and had great buoyancy and weight, needing only a little lead. Made some sweet little plugs: sent a bunch to some friends, gave away others, donated some to some angry fish demanding new jewelry, etc. No more lures, no more wood.

I'd really like to get into making some more, as I will soon have some time on my hands. Have my templates ready, wire (no 10 stainless single strand leader wire), split rings (Decoy) and Owner ST36 trebles. All I need is some wood. Can any of you luremakers give me some info on readily available wood here in Australia? Which ones offer the best characteristics for making little plugs that'll stand up to nasty fish.

Also, any sources for Lexan (polycarbonate) for bibs. Ideally 1mm thick, as these little puppies are only 45 mm long.
Thanks for your time and attention.

Regards,
Shortlite (Ted)

prawno
Expert
Expert

Re: What wood?

Post by prawno » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:12 pm

I cant say I could help you in any way but I would love to see some photos of the finished product!!

Shortlite
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by Shortlite » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:56 am

Here's one I prepared earlier...
Through wired, #9 stainless wire. Bib cut from the updraft tube of an aquarium undergravel filter! A little lead inside the body, just behind the belly hook hanger.
Lure is 47 mm from nose tip to tail. Dives to about 3 ft.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MR_T
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MR_T » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:48 pm

Easy - just go back to ethiopia on holiday and bring some more wood back. crazysmilie

Shortlite
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by Shortlite » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:58 pm

Hahahaha nahnah

-jawdrop Why didn't I think of that? -duh

Nice one Mr T. Only reason I had this wood was because when I brought it it was dried and cut into small pieces, otherwise no go at the airport mate. And a couple grand to go somewhere I did not enjoy very much just for wood seems a little.........expensive? no, more like a fkn waste of good money! crazysmilie

Any help at all guys?

Regards,
Ted

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:29 pm

Plenty of different woods available the ones I like are mirante, pine [good pine] ,balsa wood is also great stuff to work with just swim it in modelling dope to harden it up after you have carved it...
Plenty of wood about the place alot is very expensive though so i stick to pine or the others mentioned above....

Lexon and bib material can be purchased from your hardware shops eg Bunnings usually has it in stock or can if asked get it for you [its not cheap either]

Back on wood again if I could use any wood without fear of cost, sassafras looks absolutely awesome and would be a clear finished lure some of the willows are also beaut grains to look at but the $$$$ side scares me away....

Baz

Post by Baz » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:38 pm

Bib material can be purchased from most hardware stores.Just ask for the clear polycarbonate lenses that go over the glass lenses of welding masks.It is only thin, about 1mm, and very strong.Good for UL stuff, not to good for Cod lures.Hope that helps!
Cheers Baz.

OLDMAN
Master
Master

Post by OLDMAN » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:18 pm

A new timber that was (I think) being used by Paul Kneller is , sorry but cant spell it
but it sounds like jelutong. (fine grained and waterproof I think)
Laurie

MR_T
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MR_T » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:45 pm

Shortlite wrote: otherwise no go at the airport mate.
i just returned from a 6 week holiday in africa and had no problems getting my wooden souveniers back and they were all declared.
so long as it's got no bark or borer holes in it, it'll get through fine and if not it's only $30 to get fumigated.
if you know the name of the timber you could look up a timber merchant and get them to send some furniture grade stuff back.

the other thing to do is go to a timber yard or local hardware and see if they have boxes of offcuts
usually if you tell them that it's for a kindy / school for kids projects they'll give it to you cheap (in summer, winter usually gets sold as kindling)

Shortlite
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by Shortlite » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:10 am

Sweet. Cheers fellas. Will look into jelutong and the polycarbonate welder helmet shields. Also merante, pine and cedar. Balsa I tend to shy away from. Light, have to add a fair bit of lead, and even with sealer, apint and urethane clear coat, only lasts a couple fish. Maybe I should stop throwing the bloody things at nasty fish.... shockedsmilie

Return to “FISHING LURE AND TACKLE TIPS AND TRICKS”