Spit and Polish

Lure-Nut
Master
Master

Spit and Polish

Post by Lure-Nut » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:31 am

I've been looking for an effective way of carefully bring the sparkle back to lures that may not have lived the perfect life - here's what I'm using at the moment and it's working like a gem thumbsupsmilie

A product in a tube called 'Meguiars Scratch X - Fine Scratch and Swirl Remover'. It's an automotive product that I apply / rub on with a sponge or cotton bud and then finish up with a microfibre cloth polishing - gotta say, it's smarter if the trebles are removed first lol lol but it leaves the lure squeaky clean !!!

Click on the examples below of a Deception Shrimp, before and after pics ... original lure had bad rust marks and was dirty .... now looks like new with absolutely no swirls or marks from the product !!! Now I wouldn't recommend using it on your pen signatures and 'fortunately' it won't remove bass / yellowbelly fine teeth marks, but untill someone comes up with something better it's where I'm at.

How about everyone else, am always looking for better ideas ???
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers Rob

TonyM

Re: Spit and Polish

Post by TonyM » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:52 am

It came up well Rob, for getting rid of general grunge on lures I have found that Orange Cleaner works well

Did you use it on the bib as well?

Lure-Nut
Master
Master

Post by Lure-Nut » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:35 pm

TonyM wrote: Did you use it on the bib as well?
Used it to clean the sides of the bib ....

Just grabbed a brand new bib from previous lure making days and rubbed it vigorously with 'Scratch X' using a small Meguiras round sponge - absolutely no minute scratches at all noticeable on the bib when held up to the light thumbsupsmilie
Cheers Rob

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:27 pm

the only 2 things you need or lanolin in replace of the wax but wax is better....
3662359067_405e9953f0.jpg
meguiars_carnauba_wax.jpg

Lure-Nut
Master
Master

Post by Lure-Nut » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:56 am

Mully .... followed your tip and bought the Chux Magic eraser and tried it out on a few, certainly does the cleanup job well, but IMHO the Scratch X gives a more polished outcome and you don't need the wax follow-up thumbsupsmilie
Cheers Rob

Lure-Nut
Master
Master

Post by Lure-Nut » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:04 pm

Hi Raffey, haven't tried PlastX but would be great to see if it works.

ScratchX is an excellent product and I've had no problems with it at all - just be careful with signatures thumbsupsmilie
Cheers Rob

Return to “FISHING LURE AND TACKLE TIPS AND TRICKS”